Is Socorro worth the $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a drone guy, but one of the guys on my trip had a Mavic something or other and flew if off the boat at each site to grab footage for his trip video. I remember it folded up relatively small and fit inside a medium sized Pelican case. Not sure if he checked that or carried it on, but he said he had brought it to Socorro once or twice before and had no issues with either Mexican customs or the liveaboard (Nautilus in this case).
Depending on which version, Mavics are not cheap...nice though.

Depending on which version, Mavics are not cheap...nice though.
It might have been an Air 2. My memory sucks though.

I have a DJI drone. I checked the Mexican drone regulations and came away with impression that unless your a Mexican citizen, flying a drone in Mexico is not legal. Would anybody care when your on a liveaboard, probably not.
Yep, it definitely looks like only a Mexican citizen can fly a drone legally in Mexico. It’s less clear whether Mexican customs would confíscate the drone at the airport, but not a gamble I’m willing to take. Thanks for the flag.

Yep. No Mexican drone police would be watching you on liveaboard in the middle of Pacific Ocean. Even on Isla Guadalupe back in August last year. Here’s a trip video of my Italian dive buddy, which includes his drone video clips.

But are drones actively seized by Mexican customs?

The owner of a local dive shop here near Seattle, WA...Silent World Diving Systems...his name is Craig is either still there or back very soon. He has gone several times....you can call them, ask for Craig, and ask his opinion. He also dives a rebreather there.

Their number: (425) 747-8842

Can you put it in checkin luggage & carry its battery in your carryon bag?
I keep drone/accessories in a single case and carry-on. I try not to buck the system when out of the country so choose to leave the drone at home when not legal to fly.

For anybody who was following the original thread, I changed my booking from the Belle Amie on Jan. 13, to the Explorer on Jan. 12. I do think that all other things being equal, fewer divers for a Socorro liveaboard is better, even if the boat itself is smaller. When I went on the Guadalupe trip on the Belle Amie, it didn’t really matter how many divers were on the boat, because after the first day there was room in the cages pretty much whenever one wanted to go in the water. But the captain of the Belle Amie at the time told me that he thought the Explorer was the better boat for Socorro, because of the smaller number of divers. And that was pre-Covid. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

For anybody who was following the original thread, I changed my booking from the Belle Amie on Jan. 13, to the Explorer on Jan. 12. I do think that all other things being equal, fewer divers for a Socorro liveaboard is better, even if the boat itself is smaller. When I went on the Guadalupe trip on the Belle Amie, it didn’t really matter how many divers were on the boat, because after the first day there was room in the cages pretty much whenever one wanted to go in the water. But the captain of the Belle Amie at the time told me that he thought the Explorer was the better boat for Socorro, because of the smaller number of divers. And that was pre-Covid. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Myself a Solmar person, I was reluctant to chime in on liveaboard selection: that woulda been off-topic anyway, and it would have been sort of futile to try to go against the tide for Belle Amie. But you said it best: fewer divers is better, and that applies anywhere, whether Socorros or Timbuktu. As a shooter trying to shoot wildlife, I prefer to not have divers in my frame unless I choose to....and much less a huge curtain of bubbles almost wherever I look.

Explorer is a good choice, but after you go next year and fall in love with the place like myself and many others have, and decide to do it again, you might want to consider the Undersea because it only holds 19 vs. 25, I think, on the Explorer. I was on the Undersea in May. Cabins are nice and roomy. Altho if the number of divers were the sole criteria, Gallant Lady would be even better - it holds only 12. I don't think Nautilus uses her to do many Socorros trips, but she was out there in early December when I was there on the Solmar.

Just keep in mind that you are cruising on the Pacific Ocean for 24 hour crossing both ways. If you are not prone to sea sickness & not a light sleeper (not sensitive to engine noise), then smaller boat is not an issue. It’s an issue for me as I have been on both Undersea & Belle Amie and can compare the difference. That is why I was on Undersea once and on Belle Amie 3 times.

Belle Amie is huge boat and has a very quiet engine & steady ride. I slept like a baby. High number of divers is not a problem as the ratio of DM to guest is the same whether you are on smaller group or larger group (10 people / RIB). They just add more DM in Belle Amie.

Under Sea is smaller boat, a more sensitive to motion and louder engine. I didn’t sleep very well during crossing & a little bit of queasy by the time reaching San Benedicto. However, the checkout dive took care of my queasiness in a zippy. I hope Explorer is better than Undersea.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom