Is Socorro worth the $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though my December 2021 Socorro trip was somewhat of a bust (see my post above), I did manage to get some footage during the 12 dives we were able to get in. We missed three dives at Roca Partida and did not make it to the Boiler at San Benedicto, the best sites during my 2019 trip.

You still had some pretty good footages of the Mantas & Dolphins 👍

I saw Tony, the RHIB pilot, helping divers to get back to the RHIB at the end of your 2nd video. First time I met him was in Maldives Aggressor II, back in December 2018. He was the captain & cruise director of the liveaboard. Did great job then. When Maldives was closed during the pandemic, he decided to go to Mexico. I saw him again in August last year when I was in Isla Guadalupe on Nautilus Belle Amie.

Best recreational diving I’ve ever witnessed. My video from last years trip.

Beautiful video. So I have to ask -- I've been thinking of getting a drone, and learning to fly one ahead of this trip. At the risk of going off-topic:

(1) Any recommendations on a drone? Don't want to break the bank, and I'm a complete beginner. I just want to get some shots of the islands and the boat, and maybe if there are some passing whales, see if I can get a shot of them. If that's not too much to ask. :)

(2) Did you have any trouble getting the drone into Mexico and operating it from your liveaboard?

Thanks.

Most lower priced video style drones are quite easy to learn since they fly so slow in video/photo mode. But if you want something that comes with a nice camera with decent camera controls the prices only goes up fast. If you want easy and quality, DJI.

The Mini 2 works well and there is a cheaper SE version. The sky is the limit from there.

(2) Did you have any trouble getting the drone into Mexico and operating it from your liveaboard?

I have a DJI drone. I checked the Mexican drone regulations and came away with impression that unless your a Mexican citizen, flying a drone in Mexico is not legal. Would anybody care when your on a liveaboard, probably not.

I am not a drone guy, but one of the guys on my trip had a Mavic something or other and flew if off the boat at each site to grab footage for his trip video. I remember it folded up relatively small and fit inside a medium sized Pelican case. Not sure if he checked that or carried it on, but he said he had brought it to Socorro once or twice before and had no issues with either Mexican customs or the liveaboard (Nautilus in this case).

I have a DJI drone. I checked the Mexican drone regulations and came away with impression that unless your a Mexican citizen, flying a drone in Mexico is not legal. Would anybody care when your on a liveaboard, probably not.
Yep. No Mexican drone police would be watching you on liveaboard in the middle of Pacific Ocean. Even on Isla Guadalupe back in August last year. Here’s a trip video of my Italian dive buddy, which includes his drone video clips.

Yep. No Mexican drone police would be watching you on liveaboard in the middle of Pacific Ocean. Even on Isla Guadalupe back in August last year. Here’s a trip video of my Italian dive buddy, which includes his drone video clips.
Considered taking my Mavic to Socorro but worried about getting hassled at airport.

Considered taking my Mavic to Socorro but worried about getting hassled at airport.
Can you put it in checkin luggage & carry its battery in your carryon bag?

Want me to ask my buddy if he checks it or carries it on? I can shoot him an email and report back if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom