Is shivering exercize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I'm OK - Thanks for caring:blush:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
As a paramedic you gotta ask yourself... which came first the fall or the unconsciousness? You did ask that of yourself didn't you?
Yes, I asked:wink: Obviously, I cannot answer answer with 100% surity, but I don't remember being dizzy or incoordinated.
So... how's your sugar?
My sugar's always been fine, I had a good breaky that day, I was well hydrated (last thing I remember before waking up behind the car was peeing over behind the row of semi-trailers).

reefraff once bubbled...

Thirty minutes of uncontrolled shivering is an almost certain indicator of hypothermia - a potentially fatal problem and true medical emergency that requires immediate attention. If your choice is between freezing and fizzing, you need medical help. Pronto.

. . . Nonetheless, shivering is not recommended as a treatment for hypothermia - getting warm is.

. . .

Stay warm.

Steven
Glad to learn you are OK Snowbear.

At risk of being pedantic, if you are shivering you are unlikely to be truly hypothermic. While it is true that your body is struggling to keep warm due to excessive heat loss and you are at risk of becoming hypothermic when you are shivering, the danger with hypothermia is that you can stop shivering and feel better, indeed MUCH better, when your thermal defense mechanisms have been exhausted - so are lulled into a very dangerous false sense of security.

So I concur with Reefraff. Dress warm and stay warm!

By the way, do you not think your little incident shows the importance of a buddy? :wink:

Duckie?
No, wait, .....
umm
mat, a rubber mat to put down for suit up and and change out.
Makes for much less chance of slipping, and less cold on the feet.

Just because I am a macho, legend in his own mind, commercial diver doesn't mean I don't like to be comfortable when I can.:D

Hey Snowbear: answer to your first question... moderate exercise during decompression (quarter-speed swimming) is a common practice with very many divers.

Now about this fall... If you fell because you passes out, find out why. If you fell, hit your head and passed out, you have a mild concussion. Go see your MD. Concussion is NOT something to ignore... hwy, get a couple more and you'll have to start wearing a hockey helmet all the time

The Iceni once bubbled...
By the way, do you not think your little incident shows the importance of a buddy? :wink:
Would it have made a difference if this accident happened at home (I live by myself in a rural area) instead of at a dive site? I know this probably sounds defensive, but it truely isn't meant to be - Except for my work, almost everything I do in life I do solo. I don't think I would like always having a guardian standing by in case I get hurt. I actually ask around whenever I plan to dive - if someone wants to go - Great! If not, I go anyway. This is WAY more social behavior than usual for me.
Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... could've been a trucker with a binder bar.
He obviously miscalculated the thickness of my skull!
Doppler once bubbled...
...Go see your MD. Concussion is NOT something to ignore...
See above reply to UP re: thick-headedness (aka stubborness). Not the first concussion I've had and likely won't be the last:rolleyes:

Again - thanks to you all for your concern. Status post 1 week, I really am OK. I'm diving there again tomorrow (with buddies if they show) and I'm bringing a tub of sand for traction...

I am a strong supporter of people doing what they want.
I am also a strong advocate of people understanding what they are doing.

I get the idea that you know and understand, so have fun.

Nice thing about solo diving (sailing, etc.) is that there is no question of who is supposed to do any given task.

It can get a little strange like the time I was on a solo sail up the
Pacific coast of the US and the captain and navigator were arguing to the point of threatening tossing someone overboard. At that point the cook broke it up by insisting it was time for grub. After cooking and eating there didn't seem to be any problem anymore.:D

Hey, I might have to watch out for ice tomorrow morning here in central Florida. It is down to 33 degrees F right now.

Most people blaze right past that part. :D

Back
Top Bottom