Is Sea Life DC1400 Maxx Duo Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

westcoastmaritimer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of researching my first camera buy and some have suggested the DC1400 for a good starter and one of the local dive shops has deals on the DC1400 Maxx Duo | Sealife Cameras . So you get a ton of accessories, fish eye lens, LED video light, etc. I was just wondering what you guys think and if it would be worth it. As some background I live in BC and this will mainly be used in cold water diving although will bring it on vacation. This is my first camera but I hope to expand my knowledge about photography and get into more then just point and shoot.

I'm just wondering if this package is worth it or if I would be better of just buying the camera/housing/flash for much less or if the extra LED video light, fisheye lens and other accessories are worth it? Also if anyone has any experience with this setup then I would love to hear your thoughts as I haven't made a decision yet. Thanks and for all those in cold water this weekend hope your diving dry!

Honestly, one big question for me is can you insure it well? You can grow into the camera I guess, and I don't know how much diving you've done - but so many get lost or ruined.

Do you mean actual insurance or insure I'm a good enough diver that I don't drop it to the bottom of the pacific? I haven't been the best at logging my dives lately but I would say I have about 150 dives with probably 80-90% of those being cold water dry suit dives.

Do you mean actual insurance or insure I'm a good enough diver that I don't drop it to the bottom of the pacific? I haven't been the best at logging my dives lately but I would say I have about 150 dives with probably 80-90% of those being cold water dry suit dives.
I was thinking about actual insurance as you are more likely to have a loss than a tennager with a car. In the US, they can be added to homeowners or renters policies, or to State Farm Personal Articles Policies, but I don't have any understanding of what you can do there.

Our son is using the Sealife DC1400 with LED light right now in Bonaire. We are amazed at the quality of the pictures compared to our older DC800 with the old strobe flash type light. Send me a message and I will email you some of the pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 245
I just figured out how to put some of the pics on here. We are not expert photographers, but enjoy trying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 243
Another example from an amateur.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 239
image.jpg
So you can see what the camera can do for a person who has never taken underwater photos before.

I can only speak to a Sea Life DC800 for personal experience. I have the video light and the strobe. Even the DC800 can take some great pics with the right light. I have friends with the DC1400 and I have seen some of the things it is capable of. For the price I would say it is a good buy, that is until the DC1600 comes out. Whenever that is.

Back
Top Bottom