Is Scuba just not meant for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is possible scuba isn't for you, but it is also possible you can get past this and love to dive.

I also had a lot of anxiety with my mask. It took more than just 3 pool sessions to correct that. I barely got through my open water class, and it took me about two years to finally work on the skill enough that now, it is fine.

For me, even though it sounds backwards, I had a much easier time practicing breathing with a regulator in and no mask first, and then practicing removing the mask after it had been on. I found that when I was sitting there with the mask on already, my anxiety put up a blocker to removing the mask, knowing it would make me uncomfortable. That, plus the act of removing the mask often got water up my nose.

If I were in the same position as you, I would do as others suggest of practicing breathing through a snorkel until you are comfortable with the breathing through a tube concept. This should help you be more comfortable breathing through a regulator. Once you are comfortable with that, then practice breathing through a snorkel with no mask on. Once you are comfortable with that, kneel in the shallow end of the pool (with your instructor, this is probably an activity he would do during private lessons) with your regulator in and your mask on. Once you are comfortable just breathing, then put your face in the water with the regulator in and mask off and get used to breathing with it off. Be in shallow enough water that you don't need to flail around to get your head out of the water, but just need to lift it slightly to get it out. I recommend tilting your head very slightly to the side when you don't have the mask on. The bubbles from the regulator will hit your nose and water may go up your nose. Tilting will prevent that. Only once you are comfortable with all those steps would I have you start with a mask on, then flood/take it off.

This sounds like it is slow and may take some time, but that is okay! If you start rushing through (like a lot of OW classes are), you start putting new skills on top of skills you aren't yet comfortable with, making the entire situation worse. Getting your certification is not a race, and your instructor seems to be willing to take the extra time and effort to do the private sessions you will need. Maybe it won't be for you. Or, maybe one day the skills will just click for you and be okay.

I have what I call next breath anxiety. Not just underwater but everywhere all the time. Some things trigger it, something touching or restricting my chest will set it off or any restriction in my breathing, especilly when exhaling. I have no idea what or why, it just is. But I grew up in the water so I do not associate water with the anxiety though a tight wet suit, an errant strap or a regulator can set it off big time. It is one of the reasons I so often have a camera, I focus on the camera and the photo opportunities and thereby not focusing on the next breath anxiety. And the snorkeling suggestion is an excellent bridge to scuba. Baby steps. There is no reason that an otherwise healthy person cannot scuba dive, just have to acquire a new skill, adapt to a new circumstance. Focus on the new skills and not your anxiety.

Anyways, good luck, I bet you can do it.

It is possible scuba isn't for you, but it is also possible you can get past this and love to dive.

I also had a lot of anxiety with my mask. It took more than just 3 pool sessions to correct that. I barely got through my open water class, and it took me about two years to finally work on the skill enough that now, it is fine.

For me, even though it sounds backwards, I had a much easier time practicing breathing with a regulator in and no mask first, and then practicing removing the mask after it had been on. I found that when I was sitting there with the mask on already, my anxiety put up a blocker to removing the mask, knowing it would make me uncomfortable. That, plus the act of removing the mask often got water up my nose.

If I were in the same position as you, I would do as others suggest of practicing breathing through a snorkel until you are comfortable with the breathing through a tube concept. This should help you be more comfortable breathing through a regulator. Once you are comfortable with that, then practice breathing through a snorkel with no mask on. Once you are comfortable with that, kneel in the shallow end of the pool (with your instructor, this is probably an activity he would do during private lessons) with your regulator in and your mask on. Once you are comfortable just breathing, then put your face in the water with the regulator in and mask off and get used to breathing with it off. Be in shallow enough water that you don't need to flail around to get your head out of the water, but just need to lift it slightly to get it out. I recommend tilting your head very slightly to the side when you don't have the mask on. The bubbles from the regulator will hit your nose and water may go up your nose. Tilting will prevent that. Only once you are comfortable with all those steps would I have you start with a mask on, then flood/take it off.

This sounds like it is slow and may take some time, but that is okay! If you start rushing through (like a lot of OW classes are), you start putting new skills on top of skills you aren't yet comfortable with, making the entire situation worse. Getting your certification is not a race, and your instructor seems to be willing to take the extra time and effort to do the private sessions you will need. Maybe it won't be for you. Or, maybe one day the skills will just click for you and be okay.
That was reassuring and helpful. Thank you!

I have what I call next breath anxiety. Not just underwater but everywhere all the time. Some things trigger it, something touching or restricting my chest will set it off or any restriction in my breathing, especilly when exhaling. I have no idea what or why, it just is. But I grew up in the water so I do not associate water with the anxiety though a tight wet suit, an errant strap or a regulator can set it off big time. It is one of the reasons I so often have a camera, I focus on the camera and the photo opportunities and thereby not focusing on the next breath anxiety. And the snorkeling suggestion is an excellent bridge to scuba. Baby steps. There is no reason that an otherwise healthy person cannot scuba dive, just have to acquire a new skill, adapt to a new circumstance. Focus on the new skills and not your anxiety.

Anyways, good luck, I bet you can do it.
I know what you mean and I have it too. Sometimes I’ll feel my heart thump 1-2 times and I’ll realize that I wasn’t breathing continuously and I feel out of breath for a second.. if that makes sense. I feel like this skill is just so out of my comfort zone and it explains why I feel that way. I’ve gotten some helpful tips so I’ll have to try those out. Thank you!

When I have students who are struggling, my go to is to have them put the reg in, face down in the water leaving their ears out, close their eyes and focus on breathing. I tell them to listen to the wind, the sway of the trees, the water as it moves in the pool/lake/ocean. With their eyes closed, I tell them to picture their lungs filling with air and exhaling. I tell them to see it in their minds eye and remember that with the reg in, they are safe.

Anxiety is a monster. However, it can be overcome. If you do yoga or mindfulness, I would recommend you arrive a little early for class, set up your gear and then do some mindfulness exercises/yoga to allow your anxiety to come down. Focusing your mind on something other than the task is the way to cope.

Like your instructor recommended (and I fully agree), get into the tub with a mask and snorkel and simply work on breathing. You can even put on a guided meditation to listen to as you sit and just breathe.

You can do this. It's all about finding peace and ways to calm yourself. Don't give up just yet... It's worth the struggle. I was there once too... I struggled in 2020, almost gave up, got certified in 2021 and now am an Instructor. My favorite folks are those who deal with anxiety as their success means so much more than those who blow through it. You can do this.

My experience: Fear

As long as you can comfortably hold your breath underwater in pool without holding your nose and with absolutely NO gear other than a swimsuit (or not)......then my guess is that your issue is not a physical limitation.. Can you dive or jump into a pool without holding your nose or inhaling water through your nose? Can you swim underwater in just a swimsuit without holding your nose?

As long as you can comfortably hold your breath underwater in pool without holding your nose and with absolutely NO gear other than a swimsuit (or not)......then my guess is that your issue is not a physical limitation.. Can you dive or jump into a pool without holding your nose or inhaling water through your nose? Can you swim underwater in just a swimsuit without holding your nose?
I can, however I have to be exhaling. When I jump into the water without holding my nose, I immediately exhale and that’s when I surface, I don’t stay underwater. If I’m casually inside a pool, and decide to go underwater without holding my nose, I exhale more slowly to try to get more time under. Like I said anxiety plays a huge factor, and I feel a lot of pressure. When I had other students waiting for me to complete my mask skill, I was pressured to finish quicker. And then having all that gear on and trying to focus on breathing at the same time, it all gets overwhelming.

When I have students who are struggling, my go to is to have them put the reg in, face down in the water leaving their ears out, close their eyes and focus on breathing. I tell them to listen to the wind, the sway of the trees, the water as it moves in the pool/lake/ocean. With their eyes closed, I tell them to picture their lungs filling with air and exhaling. I tell them to see it in their minds eye and remember that with the reg in, they are safe.

Anxiety is a monster. However, it can be overcome. If you do yoga or mindfulness, I would recommend you arrive a little early for class, set up your gear and then do some mindfulness exercises/yoga to allow your anxiety to come down. Focusing your mind on something other than the task is the way to cope.

Like your instructor recommended (and I fully agree), get into the tub with a mask and snorkel and simply work on breathing. You can even put on a guided meditation to listen to as you sit and just breathe.

You can do this. It's all about finding peace and ways to calm yourself. Don't give up just yet... It's worth the struggle. I was there once too... I struggled in 2020, almost gave up, got certified in 2021 and now am an Instructor. My favorite folks are those who deal with anxiety as their success means so much more than those who blow through it. You can do this.

My experience: Fear
You’re totally right. I honestly lost motivation and just thought I couldn’t do it. It’s going to take a lot more than 2-3 pool dives and a lot of patience but I’m really going to have to take baby steps in order to do this. Thank you so much

I will not bother you anymore after this but the water in the nose thing is a skill. It is an uncomfortable skill I grant you but it is a skill to build tolerance. I swim as much as five miles a week and I wear nose clips (when swimming, not scuba) because I CANNOT stand chlorinated water in my nostrils! Seawater is not nearly so bad :wink:. The exhaling you do, slowly to prevent water ingress, good :). A little water in your nose is something you will need to come to terms with because it will get up there. Yeah I get it and I sympathize but you will need to get over that hurdle. That may be baby step 1.

Take your time! Scuba classes can feel very rushed, and the biggest barriers are usually mental – which again is not easy to overcome when there's outside pressure. Don't be hard on yourself and don't give up. The advice to try breathing with a snorkel in a pool without a mask and also breathing on the regulator on the surface without a mask are great exercises to get comfortable. I often check my regs on the surface without a mask just to acclimatize to having my face/nose in cold water and also to get more comfortable keeping my eyes open underwater without a mask. For whatever reason, I find it much easier to control my breath without a mask when I keep my eyes closed, but I prefer having some visual reference even if it's very blurry, so I keep training to get more comfortable. I also this in the pool with a snorkel whenever I do swim training.

Like nemrod and others have been saying, breathing with water up the nose and with water in the mouth is a skill. You have to train to get comfortable with it. Just like when snorkeling, put your tongue up and breathe slowly to avoid inhaling the water, it's perfectly doable.

When I was a teenager I had very strong reactions to having water running over my nostrils and face, so I would practice in the shower letting the water hit the back of my head and run down across my nostrils and eyes. In the beginning I was gasping for breath in a near panic, but after a while I managed to control my breath. If I hadn't gotten used to this many years before I even got the idea to start scuba training, I probably wouldn't have been able to do any of the mask skills in the class...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom