Is scuba diving like riding a bike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that if you have the time, you should do a complete review of all your old skills. It will help your confidence a lot. I certified in '99 and had a glorious 3 months of solid diving on a reef research project in Belize in 2000.

After that, nothing. Nada.

My husband recently got certified a month ago and, buoyed by his enthusiasm, we went on a well organized dive event this weekend. Thought about the refresher but the LDS was asking for quite a bit of money for it and we thought we could probably do without it. We did do two "check each other out" dives the weekend beforehand and had fun in a relatively sheltered scuba park but the first time in after 3 years was pretty traumatic.

So, fast forward to the actual weekend we were looking forward to:

First dive, shallow wreck, I freaked because my mask slipped and I clung to the smokestack of the Connie, hyperventilating for a good 10 minutes and had to talk myself into going back down again. Second dive I completely wimped out of because the currents scared me. Third dive went pretty good (because it was in another sheltered scuba park) until I heard a funny whining noise (it was a boat but I thought of worse things).

In retrospect, I am glad that we did do those extra "check out" dive the weekend before because I could assess my husband's skills and determine that he was a competent enough buddy to pull me out of anything. OTOH, I think perhaps I may have benefitted from a refresher course too. I keep thinking perhaps if I had the reassurance from a "pro" and not a newly certified newbie that I was doing fine, perhaps my confidence would have been higher up there (This past weekend my confidence level hovered about 2 inches off the ground).

Just my .2 psi. Hope you have fun on your trip.

PSF

A "Scuba Review" would probably do you more good than AOW and cost less.

Back
Top Bottom