Is proof of COVID health insurance required for entry to Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from my Egypt trip. Several notes:

1. You are absolutely not asked about health insurance when entering Egypt.

2. If you arrange a PCR test through your hotel for your return trip to the US, the odds are EXCEEDINGLY high that the lab technician will come to your room, ceremonially take a nasal swab, put it in an unmarked zip lock bag, throw that unmarked zip lock bag into a suitcase full of other unmarked sample zip lock bags, collect your $125, and 24 hours later deliver a very official looking certificate to your hotel attesting to your negative results — and the $125 will be split between the hotel staff, the technician, and whoever generates the certificate, without a test ever being really conducted. I asked about the likelikhood of a positive test result, and was told by a smiling hotel staffer who arranged my test, “just put your faith in Allah.”

They will say:
Inshallah!

Then you answer it:
Mashallah! Or
Alhamdulillah!
Depending on the result you get.
:wink:

as for health insurance, at HRG they checked that all fields where filled in but did not ask for proof; contrary to the official statement they also accepted PCR tests on smartforms and not only in printed form.

In regards to the PCR tests required to get home, they are "made to fit" the requirements of the country you are returning too. No wonder that Egypt is on the list of highrisk countries in Germany requiring mandatory quarantaine after return

Just got back from my Egypt trip. Several notes:

1. You are absolutely not asked about health insurance when entering Egypt.

2. If you arrange a PCR test through your hotel for your return trip to the US, the odds are EXCEEDINGLY high that the lab technician will come to your room, ceremonially take a nasal swab, put it in an unmarked zip lock bag, throw that unmarked zip lock bag into a suitcase full of other unmarked sample zip lock bags, collect your $125, and 24 hours later deliver a very official looking certificate to your hotel attesting to your negative results — and the $125 will be split between the hotel staff, the technician, and whoever generates the certificate, without a test ever being really conducted. I asked about the likelikhood of a positive test result, and was told by a smiling hotel staffer who arranged my test, “just put your faith in Allah.”
Great news in a way, looking to travel to Dahab in July, even though I have all the insurances it's always a hassle to get some "not so understanding" official to understand.
For the PCR test, it's a shocker but it's the African way, in a way don't you think it's better to be in your home country should you be unfortunate and have contracted the virus there than have to go to a public Egyptian hospital.
Hopefully the restrictions don't escalate to mid July when my trip is coming up.

Direct flights from Dubai direct to Sharm El Sheikh are getting people excited here.

However according to this report Covid-19: Egypt lifts coronavirus restrictions from June 1 - News | Khaleej Times

Egypt had officially confirmed 260,659 coronavirus cases including 15,001 deaths as of Saturday. However, officials and experts say the real number of infections is far higher, but is not reflected in government figures because of low testing rates and the exclusion of private test results.

When you read such reports it's always useful to ask yourself "who are these experts and what base do they have for their estimations?"
Egypt's climate (low humidity, high temperatures even during winter) does not favor respiratory diseases, particularly in Sinai. Humidity in Dubai (for example) is huge when compared to Sharm.

Humidity in Dubai (for example) is huge when compared to Sharm.

As is the temperature, we're hitting the low 40C at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom