Is proof of COVID health insurance required for entry to Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody know if Egypt immigration officials check for travelers’ health insurance for COVID coverage at the Cairo airport upon arrival? I’ve seen references to such a requirement on the US embassy’s website, but it seems unlikely that they’d be checking the fine print of insurance policies, much less turning tourists around and making them fly back for inadequate coverage. Curious if anybody was asked for that when entering Egypt.

Are you intended to travel uninsured?
Read the small print of your travel insurance policy especially on exemption. If you are covered then your question is irrelevant. If it is not then do something about it before boarding the plane.
It is your obligation to have everything in order when visiting a foreign country.

No, they don't, as it is not practicable to read the fine print or for the immigration officer to know the T&Cs of all insurances in the world.
You get asked in the entry form whether you have an insurance and have to fill in the name.
Where you may get more scrutinity is at checkin where you may get asked by the airline rep as well as the insurance is a entry requirement into Egypt.
see e.g. "Airline must provide the Health Declaration form at the departure airports and insure that the passengers have filled and signed it before boarding the flight (on the international flights)."

Just to clarify -- I have Kaiser Permanente health insurance, which covers urgent care while travelling overseas. I also have DAN's dive insurance policy, which covers medical costs associated with dive accidents. What I don't have (and don't feel I need) is a separate insurance policy that specifically states that COVID-related medical expenses will be covered during my trip. Such policies exist, and are available for $100-$150 or so, but they are typically secondary insurance and largely unnecessary, in my opinion, given that my primary insurance through Kaiser Permanente would cover my medical expenses if I caught COVID.

So what I am wondering is whether anybody who has travelled to Egypt in the last 7-8 months has been asked to provide proof of a COVID-specific travel health insurance policy, either by the airline before departure (I'll be flying Egypt Airways), or at the Cairo airport upon arrival.

And to follow up -- I just called Egypt Air, and they said that the requirement for COVID health insurance was no longer in effect, and that the only thing the airline will check for is a PCR test taken 96 hours before departure.

So, that's another $150 I don't need to spend.

I have the same question but specifically for arrival to Hurghada Airport. Aggressor boat is directing us to obtain a Visa Insurance Letter / Proof of International Medical Insurance in their pre trip info prep pack.

Wondering if anyone has entered Egypt via Hurghada and have gone through the process recently to validate?

I'm going there May 1.

I'm in Sharm right now, no one asks for any insurance, let alone the border control/immigration. I have DAN Europe for the entire family but just did a Tiran day trip (Laguna plus Jackson) and no one asked anything about it.

Just to clarify -- I have Kaiser Permanente health insurance, which covers urgent care while travelling overseas. I also have DAN's dive insurance policy, which covers medical costs associated with dive accidents. What I don't have (and don't feel I need) is a separate insurance policy that specifically states that COVID-related medical expenses will be covered during my trip. Such policies exist, and are available for $100-$150 or so, but they are typically secondary insurance and largely unnecessary, in my opinion, given that my primary insurance through Kaiser Permanente would cover my medical expenses if I caught COVID.

So what I am wondering is whether anybody who has travelled to Egypt in the last 7-8 months has been asked to provide proof of a COVID-specific travel health insurance policy, either by the airline before departure (I'll be flying Egypt Airways), or at the Cairo airport upon arrival.

Thank you for teaching me something new today! I have Kaiser and had no idea they provided coverage oversees. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom