Is our never-used Dacor 360 regulator from 1989 still usable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldunn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I bought my husband a brand new regulator, a Dacor 360, in Dec 1989 and then we had three kids and never dove until this year. I asked him to find it and he just brought it out, still in the box and plastic with the receipt.
Is this still usable as is? With some adjustments? Or not at all?
I'm hoping it's still good because I just looked up the cost of regulators since then and wowza!!! (I paid about $225, I think. No price on receipt because it was a gift!)
Thank you,
Nancy

The only issue is there's a few rubber o-rings inside that are critical to sealing everything up. Rubber ages and so those o-rings need to be replaced before the reg is used. Replacing those o-rings is part of getting a regulator serviced. Once that is done, your regular will literally be as good as new.

Your challenge is going to be finding a shop or tech that will work on this regulator at all because Dacor went out of business and factory service kits that contain these parts are no longer available. Or if they are, they are well over 20 years old so have the same problem as your reg.

New o-rings of the correct type are available from other sources for that particular Dacor first stage so it definitely could be serviced, but you need to find a tech who is willing and able to figure it out.

The only issue is there's a few rubber o-rings inside that are critical to sealing everything up. Rubber ages and so those o-rings need to be replaced before the reg is used. Replacing those o-rings is part of getting a regulator serviced. Once that is done, your regular will literally be as good as new.

Your challenge is going to be finding a shop or tech that will work on this regulator at all because Dacor went out of business and factory service kits that contain these parts are no longer available. Or if they are, they are well over 20 years old so have the same problem as your reg.

New o-rings of the correct type are available from other sources for that particular Dacor first stage so it definitely could be serviced, but you need to find a tech who is willing and able to figure it out.
OK, thank you! I appreciate the information.

I wouldn’t bother, there are plenty of used regulators that sell for a lot less than news ones and have readily available service support.
I still need a regulator - is Ebay or FB marketplace ok to buy from? Thanks!

They can be, once you know what to look for. As you are just getting back into this why not rent?
Yes, that's wise. I just thought that if my husband's was usable, why not use it but it sounds more trouble than it's worth!

I'd first call around to the local shops and explain your situation. They might do it or know someone who can. A service should run around $100, which you'll need to do with any used reg you buy.

Dacor made a lot of overly complicated first stages that would be hard to keep going, but the 360 is a solid and reliable design that will serve you well if you can get it serviced. You didn't mention the second stage, but Dacor seconds are normally decent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom