Is my new wing defective?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought my new rig and received yesterday

I blow the air cell to full through the inflator and left it sit overnight (~12hr)

i found the air cell was loosen this morning (lost about 1/3 of the air)

Is the wing ok?

ps it is a oxycheq mech v 30lb

Are the attachment where the inflator attaches to the bladder and the dump valve tight connection tight?

Something is wrong. Inflate it and put it in a bath and look for bubbles. You have a leak.

The attachment are tight

I unscraw the dump valve, but I don't know how to remove the inflator
can anyone help? Thanks

You don't need to remove it just yet, like I said if possible inflate it and put it in some water and see where bubbles are coming from.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2015 at 06:56 AM ----------

In my experience the issue is often where the corrugated hose meets the inflator or the elbow. Removing the inflator unit will tell you nothing. If you don't have a bath a bucket will suffice, inflate and put inflator end in the water and check for bubbles, ditto the OPV and top elbow end. Any leak should be apparent. Let us know how you get on.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2015 at 06:57 AM ----------

Just because fittings are tight doesn't always mean that is not where leak is coming from.

You don't need to remove it just yet, like I said if possible inflate it and put it in some water and see where bubbles are coming from.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2015 at 06:56 AM ----------

In my experience the issue is often where the corrugated hose meets the inflator or the elbow. Removing the inflator unit will tell you nothing. If you don't have a bath a bucket will suffice, inflate and put inflator end in the water and check for bubbles, ditto the OPV and top elbow end. Any leak should be apparent. Let us know how you get on.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2015 at 06:57 AM ----------

Just because fittings are tight doesn't always mean that is not where leak is coming from.

i see, I thought that I have to take out the inner bladder to test the leakage
i'll try that now

Yep, just inflate and submerge whole wing fully assembled. Hopefully it's not the actual bladder. Let us know your findings and can advise next step.

I think it should be the ovp
i see air bubbles keep coming out , about 1bubble per second
so I try to reinstall the opv and try water test again

I think it should be the ovp
i see air bubbles keep coming out , about 1bubble per second
so I try to reinstall the opv and try water test again

Also consider the possibility of a damaged T-nut. This can happen if the inner assembly is over-torqued during assembly. Not too hard to fix but does require disassembly and new T-nut.

Unscrew OPV outer cage and see if sealing surface is flat, the ring that mates with the rubber bottom seal of the pull fab. If it's damaged, should be easy to see as it might be nicked or have a flat spot, you'll need to follow advice above. Even better replace the whole unit with one of the kits from Deep Sea Supply. I have done this with all my Oxy wings. You will need an OPV tool which can be purchased from Dive Gear Express. Or return to shop if that's practical. Good luck.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1333

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcd-parts-and-components It's the bladder flange tool $4.95, scroll down

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom