Is my complaint legitimate??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had a regulator serviced. The gentlemen working the shop knew I was going to add an enviromental kit in the fall. He told me that by adding the enviromental kit while it was being serviced it would save me labor cost, because they would just add the enviromental kit during the rebuild. I was told they would need to hold my regulator for two weeks to service it.

Nine days after I dropped my reg off I got a phone call from the shop. They said that they did not have the enviromental kit in stock and would have to order it. I had already planned to dive the day after the regulator was supposed to be returned (according to their guarantee). They told me that they would rebuild the regulator I could pick it up when originally planned and then once the piece came in I could bring the regulator back and it would take them 30 mins to add the enviromental kit. I paid $60 dollars labor cost for the rebuild and $50 in parts for the rebuild.

I went Monday to get the enviromental kit added to the regulator and they gave me a pickup slip. The slip indicates I will pay another 40 for labor for installing the enviromental kit, and 50 for the cost of hardware.

Now I understand paying for the hardware but the 40 dollars is really going to upset me if they charge me for more labor. As I see it the shop waited nine days after I dropped off my reg nine days before they realized they didn't have the pieces to do the work, and the only reason I'm adding the enviromental kit now (instead of fall) is because their sales staff told me I would save on the cost of labor.

Spell it out to them just like you did here. They steered you wrong and they should make it up to you by installing the kit free of any labor charge.

And $50 for a rebuild kit? Ouch, I know the SCUBAPro ones cost the stores less then $10 each. Sounds like the really mark there stuff up.

A decent LDS will let you slide on the labor charges if you explain it calmly as you did here. I had my reg "Checked out" after I did not dive it for 6 month's for a cost of $25 and when I went back for the full service the owner noticed the check that they charged me for in the computer and took $25 off the service charges for the reg without me even asking.

Yes, your complaint is legit for the reasons you mentioned. The shop should have realized this already - I would have no hesitation about bringing it to their attention. Good luck.

And tell them that you've posted their actions on the internet for ethical assessment by other divers and dive shops.

the K

I just wanted to append an update. When I walked into the shop on Thursday someone had already caught word, or just noticed it in the paperwork and had the labor charges removed before I had to plea my case.

I just wanted to append an update. When I walked into the shop on Thursday someone had already caught word, or just noticed it in the paperwork and had the labor charges removed before I had to plea my case.

The Kraken:
And tell them that you've posted their actions on the internet for ethical assessment by other divers and dive shops.

the K

And we will crucify them for being unethical and money hungry. Pure highway robbery, it is. Why should this happen. This could only happen at a LDS. Something like this would NEVER, I repeat, NEVER happen on the internet. We'll tolerate no such actions with our diving brethern. :soapbox:

brutus_scuba:

Doesn't it just make you mad when someone realizes a mistake and corrects it. :eyebrow: Such a good rant topic gone to heck in a handbasket. We could have blasted everyone time and time again. Darn LDS. They better be careful or they'll give themselves a good name. :D

The Kraken:

the K

And we will crucify them for being unethical and money hungry. Pure highway robbery, it is. Why should this happen. This could only happen at a LDS. Something like this would NEVER, I repeat, NEVER happen on the internet. We'll tolerate no such actions with our diving brethern. :soapbox:

brutus_scuba:

Doesn't it just make you mad when someone realizes a mistake and corrects it. :eyebrow: Such a good rant topic gone to heck in a handbasket. We could have blasted everyone time and time again. Darn LDS. They better be careful or they'll give themselves a good name. :D

Back
Top Bottom