Is my 1987 Sherwood Oasis EAN36 capable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akeegan2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a 1987 Sherwood Oasis first and second stage that I dearly love. It is the easiest breathing, simplest regulator I have ever owned. It has been properly serviced regularly.

My question: Is it EAN36 capable? I do know it's not 'certified.'
04.gif
The real question is, would you dive EAN36 with this rig (with a fourth-gen AIR2?) What are the potential problems if I do dive this rig?​

Thanks,

Al

Last edited:
I don't see why it couldn't be set up for Nitrox. Your LDS should be able to do it during your next service.

yes there is nothing to do to the reg. just use it.

yes there is nothing to do to the reg. just use it.

Aren't you supposed to use viton o-rings and Christolube in regs for Nitrox use? I'm not a Nitrox diver, I've just read a little about it.

My understanding is that anything under 40 is ok to use just as air. On tanks if your shop uses o2 to start and tops off with air the tank needs to be o2 clean. I just had a non o2 tank filled with banked 30 nitrox tonight and they had no problem with it.

My understanding is that anything under 40 is ok to use just as air. On tanks if your shop uses o2 to start and tops off with air the tank needs to be o2 clean. I just had a non o2 tank filled with banked 30 nitrox tonight and they had no problem with it.

Wolfie is spot on. If it is under 40% just use it. Not sure why this is posted in a vintage forum as a 1987 Sherwood oasis is not vintage, it is not even broke in yet. Come to think of it, I am not aware that there is any vintage Sherwood equipment. Or maybe I am just not aware of any.

Thanks for the info. I haven't really checked into Nitrox, so I don't know much about it other than you have to be careful with the increased oxygen percentage to prevent an explosion.

No problem at all using it with nitrox although you will likely get a different CYA answer from SW. Bottom line is, the higher O2 concentration in nitrox will degragate the orings (nitrile) faster than viton HOWEVER and this is the key, the actual life expectiancy of orings is fairly long, in the range of 10+ years but most regs are changed out at least every few years. Therefore it becomes a non issue that the orings are degraded at a faster rate because they are going to be replaced long before they degrade to an unacceptable level anyway. Now pure O2 is a different matter. Same goes for the expensive lubes. They are not necessary at rec nitrox levels, pure O2 again is a different matter. 36 and less, no problem but if you are really worried about it, buy some viton orings and replace them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom