Is mesh a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mesh bag I was looking at you could use it as a backpack or a tote bag.

There is an opening at the top to put gear in and there is a zipper along the side so it's easier to get things out of the bottom. The bottom is solid and the rest is a heavy duty pastic type mesh.

I always put my gear in the back of my suv in a big tub like Wendy said but going to and from the dive site and boat I like to carry it so I thought that would be a good idea.

I'm not too worried about dripps. I'd be wet already. And if I was dry, I can use it as a tote.

Wet gear is OK. its the drying out before cleaning that causes damage. So that's a down side to mesh. But how long were you going to store it there.

I use mesh to & from dive site and on the boat. Holds everything yet keeps stuff relativly easy to find. Carrying wet gear is not a problem for this WWW. Bag full of wet gear goes in a plastic tub with lid for transport. On longer trips, it may not get properly cleaned for a week. I hate to have to put up with the smell of others' gear. My own isn't that bad though.

I just bought a Mesh Backpack made by Deep Outdoors.. It is very nice. It has a solid bottom, made of heavy mesh, has an outside pocket, straps are padded, and best of all, has a dry storge incorporated on the inside. I just got back from a trip and it worked wonderful. My shirts and towel stayed dry.

...for use on a boat, so your gear can drain while stowed. However, I use a plastic tub in my Trooper to hold wet gear and keep it off the carpet.

There are also plastic and rubber trays custom made for various vehicles to hold wet stuff in your vehicle.

The choice of using a mesh bag or a solid fabric bag is as personal as selecting a color coordinated gear or a pair of under wear. But the issue is more than looks or practicality is a thing of hygiene. Have you ever wondered about the smell when you open a day or two old wet (solid fabric) gear bag? Its bacteria and fungus that is living a reproducing that to the wet and warm environment t inside you gear bag and the biological residue left by you and the water you dove in this is especially true if you are every diver that likes to pee inside the wetsuit. This bacteria start to grow very fast and if you are an allergic person this is bad news. For the equipment this is also bad news because the acidic by-products of the bacteria contribute to the early decay of the silicone and rubber parts of your equipment. So, if you don’t what to get wet carrying your wet mesh bag around put your beach towel between the bag and your self this is also useful to protect the trunk of you car. Basically using a solid fabric gear bag for diving is like using a pair of levy’s to go swimming at the beach

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom