Is mesh a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulB

Contributor
Reaction score
For a bag used just to take gear to and from a dive site, is a mesh dive bag a good idea?
I know it helps drain the water when you're done. Are there any downsides to it?

When I'm done for the day, my stuff is heavy and wet.

In a mesh bag, after a dive my stuff is dripping all over me and my truck. No thanks.

My $.02

K

Depends on what you're driving. I drive a pickup truck and mesh bags work fine. When I drove a sedan a tub in the trunk worked best.

I have a mesh bag and i don't like it for a couple of reasons:
1. If you use the bag for your wet gear after a dive, water will drip all over you, if you cary it on your back.
2. Any dive bag starts to stink after a while so you have to keep it clean, and for my bag water doesnt even get rid of the smell.
One plus to a mesh bag is there usually under 10$.

Mesh works for me cause it's easier on a boat and I have a truck, so I just toss it in the bed, getting a trunk wet is not an issue for me.

Go mesh or a hard, Rubbermaid-type case, nothing in between. IMO a full-sided or whatever you want to call it has the downsides of mesh and hard cases and more.

Ben

I have a mesh bag that I used to use to carry my gear onto the boat. I used it this past week to transport my dive gear from the truck to the cruise ship after my dive and it was a pain in the booty cuz it was wet and dripped, but that was a different situation anyway.

I have a large rubbermaid tub that I transport my dive gear in now. It fits perfectly in my trunk. Keeps me truck from gettnig all yucky and wet from my dive gear. When diving on a boat I put my gear together at the car and walk to it on the boat wearing it and just have my other stuff in the mesh bag, like mask, fins, and wetsuit.

When I eventually get a new vehicle, maybe like an SVU I will get the fitted liner for the back of the vehicle, to keep wet stuff from messing up the car, but will still keep gear in my gear tub.

A gear tub is also a good place to stick all those dive stickers that you come across.

I like my mesh bag. I carry it on my right shoulder. I'm already wet so a little more on my right hip doesn't bother me.

I've seen mesh backpacks that are solid on the bottom and back if getting a little wet is an issue.

Smell ? I bet a mesh bag will smell better than an enclosed bag.

Need to keep your car/truck dry ? Get a liner or tub. An enclosed bag is going to get your car/truck wet too.

I have a very large XS Scuba mesh bag, which I love. I can put my entire dive gear in it (except tanks and weights, of course) and that includes Dryusit and Underguarments... However, it does get heavy sometimes,.. which promts me to ask if anyone used the OMS mesh back pack? It looks fairly big, but with a benefit of being a backpack, which, of course, is easier to carry. Any reviews?

Yah mesh does get things wet but it's the idea of it. To let water drain rather than have your gear rot.

In my opinion if you are going to pull out your gear and hang it properly at the end of the day then go with a sealed hockey bag or something.

If you are going to let it sit around in the bag go with mesh. :eek: :wink:

I use the Akona Mesh backpack. It is great down south because I am usually in shorts and don't mind getting a little wet.

However back home the mesh bag is not good. I get wet and when it is cold out it gets uncomfortable not to mention my trunk gets soaked. I may have to try a tub or liner in the trunk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom