Is limited solo diving completely insane for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really meant ro emphasize the "with single tanks and no octos" part moreso than the "solo diving" part as far as now perhaps being viewed as unwise.

That's how diving was done back when I started, no BC or SPG as well. I still dive that way occasionally now, when I get nostalgic. For the most part my diving is solo, single tank, bungeed backup. If I'm going especially deep or may wind up with a deco obligation, I will bring along another tank, but normally its NDL and the surface for more air. Others may do it differently, and are right as well.

for freedivers if might be usable I think where the ascend rates are not as limited as with SCUBA.

If they used it (spare air) they would no longer be freedivers, they would be scuba divers.

And a piece of your signature line @almostDIR. ...for a very competent diver most emergencies could probably be dealt with just as well as when diving with a buddy. The difference being, if you'd ever have a medical emergency underwater you would just die. Absolutely no hope of survival.

You are assuming first that a buddy could help you, and second that being solo in different circumstances, say cross country hiking, would end differently. Yes medical events kill divers, but they kill everyone else eventually, maybe solo in ones bath. People decide what risk is reasonable to them, that may be why there are so few divers.

Bob

The future is uncertain and the end is always near

You are assuming first that a buddy could help you, and second that being solo in different circumstances, say cross country hiking, would end differently. Yes medical events kill divers, but they kill everyone else eventually, maybe solo in ones bath.

This is an excellent point that is usually overlooked. People often have very optimistic expectations of how much help a dive buddy can be in a medical emergency. Having a heart attack, stroke, or seizure underwater is usually going to turn out bad, regardless of whether you're diving alone or with an exceptional buddy, much less the average buddy.

That's how diving was done back when I started, no BC or SPG as well. I still dive that way occasionally now, when I get nostalgic.

Exactly, and I admire you, and others, greatly for being able to do so. But I doubt that you would recommend this method to a new or inexperienced diver... or argue it is as safe or safer than diving with those modern tools for most divers.

Exactly, and I admire you, and others, greatly for being able to do so. But I doubt that you would recommend this method to a new or inexperienced diver... or argue it is as safe or safer than diving with those modern tools for most divers.

Have to see the diver, but it's not rocket science.

Bob

Reactions: Ana
btw I did not notice earlier that this is a specific SOLO DIVING FORUM :rofl3:

I have "solo dived" a little as well so maybe I'm in the right place. Will want to proceed to underwater cinematography which is why solo will be inevitable to me at times.
but that is also why I am so annoyingly safety oriented... I don't dive purely for fun...or at all... a dive always has to have a very specified training purpose. to me diving DOES NOT NEED to be fun even. I would do it anyway :)

Have to see the diver, but it's not rocket science.

Bob

Agree again. But that is why I used the italics in my statement...

"Exactly, and I admire you, and others, greatly for being able to do so. But I doubt that you would recommend this method to a new or inexperienced diver... or argue it is as safe or safer than diving with those modern tools for most divers."
I probably should have used bold and italics...

We can find exceptions to every rule, but I am speaking in general.

btw I did not notice earlier that this is a specific SOLO DIVING FORUM :rofl3:

I have "solo dived" a little as well so maybe I'm in the right place. Will want to proceed to underwater cinematography which is why solo will be inevitable to me at times.
but that is also why I am so annoyingly safety oriented... I don't dive purely for fun...or at all... a dive always has to have a very specified training purpose. to me diving DOES NOT NEED to be fun even. I would do it anyway :)

You: "I don't dive for fun"

Me: "I hope you get over that!"

The likelihood of surviving an incident at sea, on the surface or underwater, are significantly improved if there is more than one of you.
Basically true, but there is a fine point to this truism.

Two inexperienced divers are not, IMHO, safer if paired up as buddies. Both may feel compelled to not be the weaker link. They push their own comfort zones so that they are not the wuss. If an issue develops, both tend to look to the other.

People take shortcuts by nature, having a buddy means that you can dis potential threats with 'I have a backup'. Diving solo makes it all shockingly real.

Would I tell a novice diver to dive solo? No.

It's only as insane as they have made you!

Well my old man recently (this year) asked who was going to look after him if something
happens to me diving, not solo, not deep, or wreck or long, just going for a splash diving.

I told him to go **** himself and hurled explanatory abuse at him for five minutes
Just as I do anyone else that trumpets their selfish ideas of love, and nurtures fear.

And I write having just prepared our evening meals and had a good laugh

Well there is the inheritance

Phone calls post surfacing, well they must have a lovely time twisting out before the call
Time that would be better spent at the shrinker but then that should include all the family
Certainly if you make that call

Reactions: Ana
To a degree I agree with your points above. I have also posted earlier in the thread.

But there is a reason why all the diving agencies recommend diving as a buddy pair.
Why being at sea is so dangerous if you are single handed.
The likelihood of surviving an incident at sea, on the surface or underwater, are significantly improved if there is more than one of you.

One other consideration - PADI OW is a novice qualification. It teaches just enough to dive in ideal conditions, with the minimal skills required to descend and ascend safely, with the illusion that you are now an expert. Following the PADI route, I would suggest that you are just beginning to understand how much you don't know when you complete PADI Rescue Diver.

Having recently been re-watching the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institute) documentary, one of the comments from one of the coxswain's is worth remembering. 'It doesn't matter how good you are, or how much experience you have, the sea is a dangerous mistress. None more so when it looks inviting, a lapse of attention and you can easily become a casualty." That was him talking about being rescued by the lifeboat himself!

For those of you not UK based. The RNLI is manned by volunteer crews, they are the people who put to sea to save those in danger on the seas around the British Isles (including the Irish Republic). They go when no one else will.
To answer your thoughts, yes, occasionally and tragically they are sometime casualties themselves.
See the Penlee Lifeboat Disaster.
I agree 100% on the inherited danger of the ocean and other bodies of water in general. Most of my working life has been on and under different waters.

As far as agencies recommendations, that means nothing to me. Feels like yesterday when those same agencies were dead against recreational divers using any mix of NITROX. Their reasons varied but generally all were lame.

I don't know thay every should dive solo... I think they should have enough information and ability to do so, even if the chose to dive with others.
I also think that diving is not for everyone and some people are better off planying Parcheesi.
My main point in the SOLO issue is that it should be up to the individual. Full stop.

Not if it has X sources of air, or any other conditions. Driving some highways, walking some streets ay night, an many other activities are extremely dangerous, but people do it without assistance of a buddy, some don't walk out of those situations, life will end up in death regardless of how cautious or how negligent one chooses to be. Different people chooses different activities for different reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom