Is Lake Texoma getting more clear visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike151

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was told recently by a fisherman friend that the Zebra Muscles are clearing up the waters of lake Texoma.
He said for the first time in 20 years he can actually see down into the water.
So, I had to find out for myself. I took my boat out this weekend without any scuba gear and did some simple testing and observation. With my bow line, I tied a weight to it and dropped it straight down into the lake near the dam. When I could not see the knot anymore, I pulled it back up slightly till I could see it again and then measured the rope to my height.
I could see approximately 6 1/2 feet straight down. I did this measurement in 4 different areas one of which was a cove where I saw a pretty good size Gar about 5' down.

So, If I were to put on my mask, does anyone think I'll actually see further than the 6 1/2 feet I could see looking from above the surface? I'll be testing this next weekend as I didn't have any gear with me.

Anyone been diving there lately?

All the times I've been diving in Texoma, below 15' it turns into a night dive, and the best viz I've ever seen is about 6 ft near the East end of the lake. (not quite to the dam but within view) I fish Texoma a ton and I haven't seen much of a difference long term. At times it seems a bit clearer than others, but I think that's a normal temp/time of year thing. Let me know if you ever need a dive buddy for some exploratory dives.

Kory

Kory,
Yes! I'm interested in doing some exploratory dives. Need a buddy though. I have a boat.

If ya'll need a third let me know! I dove it today solo.
OK, you have to share more than that. :D
Where did you dive in Texoma?
What was the visibility?
Did you see anything worth making comments about?
What was your max depth?
What was the temp at depth?
Anything else you would like to share I would love to hear.
Sent Kunk a PM and we're talking about having lunch one day and coming up with a general plan. Probably trinket hunting. :eyebrow:

Six and a half feet was about the best I ever saw in Texoma 30 years ago on a good day. That was on the Texas side in some of the rocky coves somewhere around Eisenhower Marina.

DFB

UPDATE: I've dove in Lake Texoma this year multiple times from a boat.
South side of Treasure Island vis was a couple feet to 4'.
The party island had about the same. Found some neat stuff there like sunglasses, party beads, etc.
The Damn near East Burns run was horrible vis. The sediment was at least 2 feet deep.
Sunset Cove (Oklahoma side) the visibility was up to 7' and was quite a nice little dive.
Didn't see much wildlife except for the clouds they left behind from bolting upon hearing us.
I'll dive it again and I have a couple areas that I'm primarily interested in.

Yeah, I've never found as good diving on the Oklahoma side as on the Texas side. No insult to Oklahoma intended. I think the Wa****a arm drops a lot of silt, plus the Oklahoma side is sandier and siltier and the runoff water carries all of it into the lake. The water seems to drop a lot of sand and silt before it runs to the rocky cliff along the Texas side, plus a lot of that side is rock and gravel. It might be that the water over there has less current and has a chance to clear some. What ever the reason I used to find that water on that side clearer. I found more to look at there, too, big rocks on the bottom and rock ledges.

DFB

I used a navigational map to pick out some spots to dive that showed "submerged buildings" just off of Preston Bend but the anchor wouldn't hold in that area for some reason. Need a bigger anchor!

In case other's are interested in Diving Texoma (I am also interested in the pool 1,000 feet (other side of old bridge) below the dam.

I took these 'combined' videos' at the bottom of Texoma, clarity wasn't great, but do-able.

The best diving is while it is still cold, and there hasn't been a lot of light (early Spring), before the green algae has a chance to grow and destroy the visibility. Check out 'Miller's cove" some of the best visibility.

Miller's cove and Eisenhower, and other coves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTUJVJrMig

submerged town of Preston (not a lot to see) with GoPro and humminbird side scan spitfire sonar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dfSawwkg8

Below Eisenhower state park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnuOlmcwXhI

Back
Top Bottom