Is it worth switching from DiveRite wings to a new Halcyon....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
I am currently using an old DiveRite harness and wings, i'd like to know if its worth getting a Halcyon BC for my doubles (104's). So besides there wieght intergration is there much difference between the two. Unfortunately no LDS carry them for me to try on, nor do i know anyone in my area with one.

1. whats so great about the Halcyon ?

2. is it worth the $450+ min

3. Should i stick with my DiveRite wings ( mine is old and i would like more lift)

4. lastly, can i use my DiveRite Harness on a halcyon BC or is there harness intergrated to the BC in some way ?

Your input would be greatly helpful

TMD

Originally posted by trymixdiver
I am currently using an old DiveRite harness and wings, i'd like to know if its worth getting a Halcyon BC for my doubles (104's). So besides there wieght intergration is there much difference between the two. Unfortunately no LDS carry them for me to try on, nor do i know anyone in my area with one.

I'll let someone else field that

New Halcyon Explorer wing (doubles) is $338 full retail

3. Should i stick with my DiveRite wings ( mine is old and i would like more lift)

totally up to you... how much lift do you need? My partner has a 55# and I sold my 55# and got a 70# in anticipation of carrying a scooter.... I wish I had my 55# back

4. lastly, can i use my DiveRite Harness on a halcyon BC or is there harness intergrated to the BC in some way ?

The Halcyon Explorer is not a BC... it is wing that is sandwiched between the backplate and the tanks. The Halcyon backplate uses 2" webbing for the harness and it is cheap.
FredT...who will pop up here any minute... makes backplates as well... and they seem to be highly regarded on this board.

Your input would be greatly helpful

TMD

Hey TMD,

I'll take stab at this one.

The difference is in the details, IMO. Both the inner 'tube" and outer shell are very rugged and durable. The inflator hose isn't too long like many wing hoses. The inflator inflates nice and slow.

There's no reason to spend that much. You can get a 55lb wing for $250ish (let me know if you want to know where), a Fred T heavy plate for $95ish, and his hardware/harness package for $30ish. You're at under $400 pretty easily. You shouldn't need W/I with 104's -- maybe a small V-weight or something.

I got rid of my Dive Rite Rec Wings about three years ago, and I haven't looked back.

As long as it's a single piece of 2" webbing roughly 15' long or so, you can use it. If you have the three D-rings, 5 weight keepers, and a SS buckle, you've knocked off $40 worth the stuff. This would get you in the $360ish range for a Halcyon/Fred T setup. With a little luck on E-bay :wink:....or just keep it for whatever reason.

Take care.

Mike

Yeah Uncle pug i am diving dry.

I think the wing i have now is 45 lbs of lift and i would like to pick up a little more lift. A 55 sounds like the ticket. Sounds like my Harness will work fine then, if the halcyon wing is only like $250 minus the harness i have no problem picking it up, thats cheap.

Hopefully i win the lotto tonight, id love to get some OMS 85's! hell at 90 mill i buy you all a pair too :) wish me luck :)

just for the record i did get 5 of 6 last year!

Back
Top Bottom