Is it worth going to Key West / questions about the Keys!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

technobro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello fellow divers !:D

Sorry for the double post :s

A friend and i are going to the keys on the 19 of july to the 29.

I am wondering is it worth going all the way to key west ?
Should we stay in the upper, middle keys ?
What are the ''unmissable '' spot to see ?

I really wanna see ''Key Largo Dry Rocks - The Christ of the Deep Statue''

I found this cool site , you must alery know of FLKeysDiving.com: Guide for Scuba divers in the Florida Keys scuba divers Key West to Key Largo with underwater tropical reef fish in John Pennekamp State Park and see maps of wrecks at diveshops
anyonw know other site like that ?

Also i plan to buy lots of gear at diver supply in florida city , is there are lsd that offering better price in the area of the keys ?

Any recommendation for a charter ?
6 pack dive , 10 pack dive ?
I migh go whit quintessance , read good thing about them

Thanks.:D

I personally would not go to Key West as I prefer the diving and laid back atmosphere in the Key Largo area. If you search some you will find several threads giving pros and cons of each.

Divers Direct is located in Key Largo at about mm100.

I also prefer diving with Jeff Jarvis/HMS Minnow DIVE KEY LARGO - SCUBA with HMS MINNOW DIVING CHARTERS, Florida Keys Pennekamp Sanctuary

Jeff runs a 6-pack and will get you to the sites you request if at all possible. Jeff is located right behind the Holiday Inn at mm100. There are several other good dive ops in the area - Blue Water - Conch Republic, etc..

I like the Benwood for a shallow wreck. The deep side of Frenches reef - any site on Molasses reef. The Spiegel Grove and the Duane are 2 great wreck dives - especially if you catch a day with no current and good vis.

Agree 100% w/ the suggestion re Jeff @ HMS Minnow - excellent operator - try to do the statue on a weekday; crowded on the weekends w/ snorkelers. Its a must do dive - once....

Also agree w/ diving in the upper Keys vs Key West; KW is a great place to go for a night or two.

The Divers Direct in Florida City is owned by the same company (World Water Sports) as the one mentioned in KL.

I pretty much agree with the rest, if your diving Key Largo to the mid keys is the area to dive in. Plenty of good ops in the area. My favorite is Island Ventures, small op, nice boats and great crew.
If it's your first trip to the keys a day in Key West is not a bad idea for surface activities like Mel Fishers museum but for diving stay north.
I would add to your must see dive sites Snapper Ledge, it is covered with fish. If you have any interest in diving the Spegial Grove be aware that most ops require some form of advanced training before they will take you.

Try Scuba-Do at mm100 oceanside. Oceanside cuts 30 minutes off of your run out to the reef vs using a bayside diveboat. They're a small outfit with a great boat if the water kicks up. I haven't been out with them since the previous owners moved on but they still have a great rep. Ocean divers shop is right there if you need equiptment at the last minute as well as Sharkey's rest/bar which is a great hangout at anytime. Skip Key West unless you like to drink alot and buy tshirts. The drinking part is cool but if you're staying in Key Largo, the 100 mile drive back at night with a buzz on hoping you don't wreck or get pulled over is not. If you do the Christ dive, you may want to get the op to take you to the City of Washington which is a shallow wreck next to a reef that has lots of fish to see and good photo ops. And try the Scuba Outlet up around mm 107?. they have a lot of off-brand gear but some name brand stuff at really good prices.

No question Key Largo has better and more diving spots than the middle or lower keys. Having said that, my favorite Keys dive spot is Looe Key Reef. IMO it is the best reef dive in the Keys and not nearly as crowded as the spots in Largo.

I have a special place in my heart for Key West. I've had some INCREDIBLE surface intervals there!

I was not impressed with Divers Supply or Divers Outlet in Florida City, both had sparse inventory and less than enthusiastic staff.

Divers Direct in both Florida City and Key Largo had a nice selection of gear and the sales lady at the Florida City location was particularly friendly.

That being said, I'm interested in switching to a BP/W setup and none of the stores had much of anything to offer along that line, at least not in stock. Also the prices, while reasonable, can certainly be beat at any number of online vendors and, in some cases, by my lds. I bought a 3mm shorty because the water was much warmer than I expected (a brought a 1mm fullsuit) and a Zeagle surface marker because Divers Direct in Key Largo had a good price on it.

You should do the Christ Statue so you can check it off, but there are other much more interesting sites, I liked Carysfort Reef.

Last fall, when we stayed in Tavernier, we drove down to Key West for dinner, it took about an hour and 45 minutes each way. It was nice, but I'd rather be in the Key Largo/Islamorada area.

I got around to visiting Pennekamp this time, didn't get in the water, just checked it out. I plan to go back and get in the water there, admission is just $3 a person and it looks like a pretty nice place if its not crowded.

Also check out the Florida Keys Wild Bird Center in Tavernier, if you're into that kind of thing. Its free (they suggest a $5 per car donation) and they feed the pelicans at 3:30 pm. If you want, they'll let you hand feed fish to the pelicans, there were about 60 of them the day we went. Its an up close and personal bird experience.

Last edited:
Well how can i express how i am truly thankful to each of you.

Its really nice to see how people are helping each other on forums.
(It makes me belive we still live in a good world, and there still nice ppl)

I am pretty positive it will make my trip better. :p

Now i dont think ill go to Kw on this trip , probably later ...

Ill try to dive every site you guys mentioned.

THANKS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom