Question Is it worth getting GoPay or Dana while in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hear apps like GoPay and Dana are popular for purchases instead of cash.

I'm an American, so I don't think I can fill up either app before traveling to Indonesia. I think I can fill up GoPay from any GoJek driver by giving them cash. I don't know how to load a Dana account.

Are these apps worth using? Are they accepted at most places like markets and warungs?

GoPay is a huge part of our lives in Jakarta, but not as much in Bali although growing like crazy. GoJek delivery and online marketplaces like Tokopedia and HappyFresh have been massive game-changers to existing in this megacity as everything can come to me instead of venturing out in traffic. It has made my life so much more manageable. That being said, outside of online shopping and utilizing GoJek drivers for rides and deliveries, GoPay is rarely accepted outside of modern malls, restaurants, groceries and stores- certainly not at warungs and markets- or at least what I call a warung or market.

FWIW, GoPay is also limited to a 2 million rupiah balance unless one applies for a GoPay plus account, and I have no idea if tourists can do so. Would it be worth it for most people visiting Indonesia to dive? I don't see how unless you are in the popular areas of Bali- Seminyak, Canggu, Sanur, etc... Handing a GOJEK driver millions of rupiah to fill up your account would be super awkward, especially when he is probably clearing around 2 million a month himself. It would be like some stranger walking up to me with five thousand dollars and saying, "Dude...go stick this in the bank for me and make sure it does not get lost while you drive around ll day."

I have never heard of Dana. The other big cashless app we use is called OVO. They are big because they can be used with GRAB, the other big ojek/taxi/delivery service. OVO is also used in many modern businesses- probably more than GoPay.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, @matts1w . Rp 2 million is all I would put in it anyhow, or less. I thought I'd use it at Indomaret, supermarkets, or restaurants. Or, if I give tips to divemasters, etc.

Thanks, @matts1w . Rp 2 million is all I would put in it anyhow, or less. I thought I'd use it at Indomaret, supermarkets, or restaurants. Or, if I give tips to divemasters, etc.
You can use GoPay to transfer to individual bank accounts, so yeah...Although it might be a problem at a warung if the employee isn't authorized to do that.

Cash is king. I never used any app on my recent visit to Bali. Apps not useful as warungs take cash only.

I'm back from Indonesia where I experimented with GoPay. I'll report here in case this is useful for someone in the future.

I could not create a GoPay account in the US before leaving. I assume this has to do with the Indonesian equivalent to US "know your customer" laws.

Once in Indonesia, I bought a Telkomsel SIM at the Jakarta airport. They linked the SIM to my identity by checking my passport.

Several days later in Sorong, I went into an Alfamart. The helpful staff knew how to get the phone number for my Indonesian SIM. I had only been using it for data until then and didn't actually know my Indonesian phone number. They entered the phone number into the GoPay system behind the counter and were able to know my identity because my passport had been checked when buying the SIM. Then my account was active. I gave them cash and they topped up my account. I think I deposited Rp 1.000.000 and there was a Rp 4.000 fee.

Sending rupiah can then by done using the recipient's phone number or a QR code.

Before trying an Alfamart, I tried topping up my account at a proper bank. It was BNI, I think. The staff told me to just go to Alfamart, which are all over the place in Sorong.

There are likely less expensive ways to top up an account than the 4% fee charged by Alfamart, but I was mainly doing this as an experiment. I'm just curious about the world of mobile payments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom