Is it worth doing an IDC if you might only use it for a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duncan M

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a divemaster/ assistant instructor and will be working on a couple of marine science research projects in Indonesia this year and want to dive in between the projects. I'm finding it really difficult to find DM work as I only speak english. I am thinking of doing my IDC to be better qualified and better paid, and i was wondering if it would pay for itself over the course of about a year.

I'm not sure how much instructors get paid but I love diving and really passionate about the underwater world so money isn't the real issue... im more wondering if its worth doing the IDC as it's looking like I will not be using it much after a year towards the end of 2019 (i will still be diving).

Any thoughts on whether the pay difference to a DM would make it worthwhile? Also any ideas of good locations to do my IDC in SE Asia (Indo, Malaysia, thailand etc.)........ Or Anywhere that hires DMs?????

In order for a foreigner to obtain a scuba employee visa in many Asian countries, you would need to be a qualified instructor.

The local governments want to encourage dive ops to train locals as DMs.

Also, in my experience, as dive guides the locals are generally better than foreign staff. They are there for longer periods and know the dive sites better.

Hey umuntu. Yeah I completely agree, most dive shops should hire local staff first. When I did my DMT the locals were usually the best guides.

Any ideas of good places to do an IDC, there is too much choice!

Hey umuntu. Yeah I completely agree, most dive shops should hire local staff first. When I did my DMT the locals were usually the best guides.

Any ideas of good places to do an IDC, there is too much choice!

If your objective is a job, look at places which offer an internship and some promise of work at the end. The teaching experience will help if you need to look for a job. Places that attract a lot of Western English speaking tourists would be helpful for your job prospects.

Honestly, the biggest differentiating factor between instructor applicants in Asia is language ability. If you are a Mandarin speaker, you can get a job almost before you begin IDC. Russian, German, French are also desirable.

You for sure won't get the money back that you invested for it. But if money is not an issue... Go to Gili Trawangan, Indo. If you're PADI, Holly from Trawangan Dive gives an IDC almost every month. She is great! If you are SSI, go to Manta Dive Gili Air and do you IDC with Anna. There are lots of dive shops on the gilis so give your CV to all dive shops... You can get around with only speaking English but you'll stay low pool instructor.

I'm a divemaster/ assistant instructor and will be working on a couple of marine science research projects in Indonesia this year and want to dive in between the projects. I'm finding it really difficult to find DM work as I only speak english. I am thinking of doing my IDC to be better qualified and better paid, and i was wondering if it would pay for itself over the course of about a year.

I'm not sure how much instructors get paid but I love diving and really passionate about the underwater world so money isn't the real issue... im more wondering if its worth doing the IDC as it's looking like I will not be using it much after a year towards the end of 2019 (i will still be diving).

Any thoughts on whether the pay difference to a DM would make it worthwhile? Also any ideas of good locations to do my IDC in SE Asia (Indo, Malaysia, thailand etc.)........ Or Anywhere that hires DMs?????

Contact a CD in the area you would like to work, ask them if they would be willing to share the number of certs done in the previous year, and how many instructors these were shared by, from this you can get a reasonable idea of the potential earnings, and how long it will take you to recover your investment.

As for where to do the IDC, doing it in the same area you wish to work will provide opportunity for some valuable networking. You might also look for a dive center/CD that can offer you some opportunity after training with them.

Recovering it in one year will be difficult, if money is a factor then this goal is probably not realistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom