Is it to tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underfrogg

Registered
Reaction score
Central Virginia, inbetween W'boro, C'ville and L'
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been given a Henderson farmer John type wetsuit from my brother-in-law, which is a 7mm. It is a medium, which the Henderson chart says should fit me. 5'8", 170 (lbs this morning), I forget the chest and hips but I remember them being in the medium size limits.

So what my question is, how hard should this wetsuit be to get on? The first time I put it on it was difficult and I seem to have gotten it on mostly correct (it still needed to come up a little), but I had to work at it really hard. So thinking about it I decided to turn it inside out and sort of roll it on from the bottom, my feet. Well it goes on OK I guess, I did that three times, the best time to date for putting it on is 3 min’s. Is it to tight if I have to put it on this way? Should I be able to put it on in a more conventional way? I feel it is to tight. But hope to have some comments from experienced divers. Thanks so much. Dave

Donning and doffing is often a matter of technique & practice. If it is comfortable once you get in it and your breathing is not restricted, it should be fine. BTW, make sure you have a buddy for a while as a farmer john is often harder to get out of than in. It sucks driving home in your wet wetsuit.

Like awap says, unless your breathing is being restricted, you should be just fine. What you might want to do is consider having extended zippers installed at the wrist and ankles. This should help quite a bit with the donning and doffing.
Carolyn

3 minutes isn't bad. If a wetsuit goes on too easily then it means it will let in water easily. You want a little water in the suit but you want that water to warm next to your body as part of the insulation factor. You don't want water entering and exiting the suit with every kick. I would say the suit probably fits well like others have said, as long as you can breathe easily and it isn't making hands or feet turn red. :D

Thanks all, I kept it on for about an hour yesterday and did not have any problems with breathing or any extremities get red and fall off. So I am going to keep it and try to adjust how I put it on so it doesn't ride up to high in my crotch.
What a nice place to get great help.

Again thanks so much.
Dave

Thanks all, I kept it on for about an hour yesterday and did not have any problems with breathing or any extremities get red and fall off. So I am going to keep it and try to adjust how I put it on so it doesn't ride up to high in my crotch.
What a nice place to get great help.

Again thanks so much.
Dave

You kept it on four 1 hr.on dry land :11: well in that case it must be a good fit.
when you put on a semidry suit work your way up from your ankles bit by bit.
get it all as high as posible so there will be no pressure on your shoulders.
After a few times it will be as easy as putting on your jeans.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom