• Yes, start a Non DIR Forum

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • No, leave things as they are!

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • It really does not matter.

Votes: 24 19.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug,

Here's why we taped our fins on. (Note the twin 40's on the jumper's back.)
:D
SeaRat

PS: Photo taken in Okinawa, 1968.

I'm not saying mine is as good as what you have, only that I've taken that into consideration in the design. I haven't tested it though against what you have.
I will be glad to give you a demo of the rigs we use. I see by your profile picture that you do dive Edmonds UWP so I would be glad to meet you there.

crazyc bubbled...

They just held a bunch of GUE training in Santa Rosa NM at the end of November. Don't know how far you are from there, but if they've done it once, they'll do it again.

Santa Rosa is where almost all of the O/W training in the state takes place, as well as CO, TX, OK, & KS in the winter. About 2 hours from my front door.

Do you know who held it? I might be interested in it, and I have become acquainted with another guy through the board from here in town that may be also.

Thanks

in 1998 I couldn't get anyone to
produce it either. With a DIR setup
it would have revolutionized diving.:upset:

at this point i would say yes as it may be the easiest to stop some of for lack of words trolling (stupid argueing)
plus they do have some good ideas and some i dont agree with but still learning and reading more about same so i say yes

stood for Doing It Rectally. It was a teaching
technique developed by Dr. Charles Warhammer
who was the originator of the famous
"Warhammer maneuver."

Dr. Warhammer invented a direct O2
device called the EAN50ColonBlow Mark I.
It was a method of streamlining divers by
having a direct connection from a Nitrox
tank containing EAN 50 thru what he called
a Direct Rectal Connector.

Unfortunately financing problems forced
Dr. Warhammer to suspend production of
the Mark I. Also the diving community didn't
receive the DRC with the enthusiam that he had
hoped for.
Warhammer went bankrupt and DUE bought his
prototype Mark I. Watch for it in 2003.

Lawman once bubbled...
stood for Doing It Rectally. It was a teaching
technique developed by Dr. Charles Warhammer
who was the originator of the famous
"Warhammer maneuver."

Dr. Warhammer invented a direct O2
device called the EAN50ColonBlow Mark I.
It was a method of streamlining divers by
having a direct connection from a Nitrox
tank containing EAN 50 thru what he called
a Direct Rectal Connector.

Unfortunately financing problems forced
Dr. Warhammer to suspend production of
the Mark I. Also the diving community didn't
receive the DRC with the enthusiam that he had
hoped for.
Warhammer went bankrupt and DUE bought his
prototype Mark I. Watch for it in 2003.

:D

Lawman.........too much

trying to shed some historical perspective
on the subject of DIR.:D

Well, I went to the pool last evening to test some of my theories, and ideas. I wore my UDS-1 system (a triple-tank system produced by US Divers Co. in the late 1970's that I've been rehabilitating), my BC, new mask (yup, with 2.3+ diopters) to test to, Plana Avanti fins and my wife's Impulse snorkel.

I did some tests of about 20 yard swims on the surface and underwater in different configurations. I wanted to test whether wearing the scuba unit low or high on my back made much difference. When I was swimming on the surface, I was swimming with an inflated front-mount BC (my design). I counted the number of kicks over a specific distance (the lane markers on the bottom of a 25 yard pool), and counted one kick as either one dolphin kick (feet together) or one flutter kick (every time my right foot went down, one cycle).

I wanted to test my own dive patterns against some of the DIR methods, just to see whether I had the justification I think I have for wearing my scuba low.

Here's the results:

Equipment Configuration; Style of swimming; Number of kicks

Scuba low; surface snorkeling; 15
Scuba high; surface snorkeling; 15
Scuba low; underwater swim; 13
Scuba high; underwater swim; 13
Scuba high; surface on back; 13
Scuba low; surface on back; 13
Scuba high; underwater dolphin; 14

As you can see, my experience does not jive with my numbers. The low or high configuration does not affect the streamlining, which was one of my arguments above (way above). I eat crow (or is it coot?).

The idea here is that we need to hear other peoples' ideas, and make our own evaluations. I probably will continue to wear my tanks fairly low. But now I know that I some of my original thoughts were not correct. When wearing double-hose regulators, there is very good reason for keeping the tanks low. This also goes for when jumping from height (or conducting parascuba jumps), but I will not contest the DIR folks on tank position for underwater swimming.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom