Is it really worth the risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I read that right? 73m on air and it's the best training in the world. I call horse **** on that.

It's the only training in the world of which I'm aware that involves that depth on air. Don't like it, don't take it.

One point to make here....If you're concerned that someone is going to be certified to take their rebreather to 300' in 3 easy classes, it's not going to happen.

You have to make a minimum number of dives between MOD1 and MOD2, and then more between MOD2 and MOD3. The number is different between training agencies, of course.

When I first got started on my rebreather, I was gung-ho to get to 200' immediately after 25 dives. I had a plan to hit 200' about 4 months after getting certified. Then I started diving the unit and realized that I was in no hurry to get to 200' and honestly, I was not ready. 70-odd hours on the unit now and I'm starting to make plans to go to Florida to give it a shot. Maybe. After a few more dives :)

There's also no SCUBA police. In my Mod 1 class there were two students: myself, coming to CCR because I'd hit depths I didn't want to keep doing on OC, and another guy who'd gone the local shop's zero-to-hero OW-->OWI route, who just thought it'd be cool to dive a CCR and btw Uncle Sam would buy the unit and training for him. Suffice to say we had very different first CCR dives on our own after class ended...I don't think I've used air in a dil bottle since class ended.

Not being a rebreather diver let alone an instructor, I Googled it to see. The first place I saw teaching the PADI rebreather class is Add Helium. The PADI classes there limit you to diving within NDLs to a maximum depth of 100 feet. The class takes four days.
PADI Rebreather and Advanced Rebreather Course | Add Helium

Thank you John, yes you are correct. I just don't see us teach much PADI. Peter, Joe, and Oliver usually teach the basic CCR course in 5 days via IANTD. It is the same amount of money for the class, but you get more out of it as one can see just by comparing the two sample class schedules. With the IANTD training, your limit is at 140 ft and you get introduced to the concept of decompression. Obviously, with the normoxic class, you get much more into it. In any event, for either classes the instructors reserve the following: Classes are based not in hours, but in objectives. The student must master all skills and objectives of the class. Some classes will take longer than others in this regard. The following is a sample class schedule, which may be longer (if needed) to master the objectives.

Oh, and BTW, I am talking about a technical rebreather not SCR explorer or Poseidon rebreather. Those are taught in 4 days. Perhaps I misunderstood the discussion here to include full technical rebreathers.

Regards,

---------- Post added December 10th, 2014 at 08:10 AM ----------

One point to make here....If you're concerned that someone is going to be certified to take their rebreather to 300' in 3 easy classes, it's not going to happen.

You have to make a minimum number of dives between MOD1 and MOD2, and then more between MOD2 and MOD3. The number is different between training agencies, of course.

When I first got started on my rebreather, I was gung-ho to get to 200' immediately after 25 dives. I had a plan to hit 200' about 4 months after getting certified. Then I started diving the unit and realized that I was in no hurry to get to 200' and honestly, I was not ready. 70-odd hours on the unit now and I'm starting to make plans to go to Florida to give it a shot. Maybe. After a few more dives :)

Well good for you! Not everybody is that honest with him or herself. As part of this discussion as to who would make a good (rebreather) diver is, in my opinion, a HONEST diver regardless whether he/she dives OC or CCR.

Part of the reason its not hard is that failures on a CCR are not easy to simulate at all. Instructors can't and don't go failing solenoids or injecting a bunch of CO2 into your loop. That would be, wait for it... dangerous! :p

Once you bailout you're just a lowly OC tech diver again anyway. To say that you don't need your sheet together now that your heavy as hell with a total loop flood or CO2 hit at virtually any depth with a significant bailout deco obligation is just folly.

Once again, I'll come back to my theory that the WAY information in presented to the student is flawed. Let's try an experiment...

I shall ask all divers regardless of your current training level to help me crowd-source the answer to two simple questions:

A) Define *when* you are Hyperoxic
B) Define *when* you are Hypoxic

some chose to only snorkel while others explore "deep space"..... Choices we each make....

Once again, I'll come back to my theory that the WAY information in presented to the student is flawed. Let's try an experiment...

I shall ask all divers regardless of your current training level to help me crowd-source the answer to two simple questions:

You, or your current breathing gas? :wink:

You're not playing fair. :D

What does 0.15 and 1.5 have to do with the ability to simulate an internal boom? Or a hypercapnic event? All the arm waving in the world (or flash cards etc) are a joke compared to having your loop blowing up or not being able to stop hoovering enough to even turn the knob on a BOV. It really has nothing to do with theory and everything to do with poor reactions under stress because there is little or no way to simulate those stresses. Nothing goes wrong dive after dive until "bang" huge issue with crappy reactions. That's on top of the pushing scrubbers and cells which in psychology is now known as normalization of deviance. Same human tendencies that brought down the space shuttle, twice.

Back
Top Bottom