Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sure wish I could tolerate an N95 better.
Ditto.
Addendum:
I actually have not tried for a really extended period of time (many hours, whole day). I maybe should. They are just inconveniently bulky on the road / hiking etc… But even short term, they (the ones I did try) feel sweatier than the surgical masks.

wearing masks with hearing aids is a pain in the rear... every time you take the mask off to eat or drink the aids come off.,,, but is better than wearing a respirator at an ICU :eek:
Haha, I hear you!
I at times catch myself playing strap puzzle with a sun-hat with chinstrap to keep it from flying off, glasses with a neck cord so I can quickly dangle them on my neck when wanting to use the camera viewfinder and then a mask straps over the ears. Invariably something gets caught by the other if wanting to take just one thing off and at times it takes more than a second to untangle…

FFP2 mask, because where I live it's the type of mask prescribed for the areas where masks are mandatory. Interesting enough, I do have less issues with fogging glases with the FFP2 than I do have with surgical masks.
Remember, there are at least 27 different regulations on masks in the EU, heck, there is 16 different in Germany alone :banghead:

Interesting.
I will need to look into that, as I am going to Germany (and hopefully not only there). Read that FFP2 and N95 are practically the same thing but that in places were one is required, the other may not be meeting the requirement if it does not (also) show the actually required cert letters (i.e. a US bought N95 mask w/o printed on FFP2 creds may not be acceptable to the FFP2-police (should it exist)

What are N95 and FFP2 face masks and do you really need them?

Hmmm... had not considered that there would be regulations on exactly what kind of mask would be acceptable in different countries. Will need to do some research!

I pretty much use disposables for grocery shopping etc. Have a cloth mask for longer public trips - 90 min ferry ride with a thousand or so other people was the latest. Was planning to use a few of my construction type N95 disposable masks for an upcoming 19 hour set of flights. They breath reasonably well and I have worn them for long periods of time with no issues - sanding drywall for example. Unfortunately I have not seen them for sale since this all started so my supply is limited. I also find the cloth masks get hard to breath through if you wear them for long enough.

... (i.e. a US bought N95 mask w/o printed on FFP2 creds may not be acceptable to the FFP2-police (should it exist)
Don't worry, as long as you wear a mask nobody will bother you. And there is even a list of approved standards:
  • FFP3 (Europa)
  • N95 und N99 (NIOSH 42 CFR Part 84, USA),
  • P2 (AS/NZ 1716:2012, Australien/Neuseeland),
  • KF94 und KF99 (Korea 1st Class KMOEL-2017-64),
  • DS2 (Japan JMHLW-Notification 214, 2018) sowie
  • KN95 und KN100 (GB2626-2006 bzw. GB2626-2019, China)
Only thing not allowed is a mask with a valve.
One other important thing: If you travel to Europe, take along proof of vaccination. It will safe you a lot of nose swaps. More and more countries require you to be 3G (vaccinated, recovered, tested), in some areas having a recent test is no longer good enough.

There's no doubt that mask wearing for any length of time is a challenge. My longest journey so far has been from Oregon to St. Croix. I've been traveling since last fall and over time have come up with a save-a-mask kit. First, the basics. For the best protection, N95 is the only mask to wear for plane travel. You will have the most protection from, really, any virus. The flimsy paper masks only protect you about 40%. That's why you'll see people wearing two of them. The cloths masks only protect you about 20%. I've seen people and even flight attendants wear two paper masks with a cloth mask over those. That's got to be hot! I'm just a consumer, but the gold standard of protection is the N95. If I didn't have these, I wouldn't do any air travel. So all these tips are based on N95 use and the products I purchased were from Amazon. If you wear glasses and you've experienced fogging, the below product is available on Amazon, and it really works.
LifeArt Anti Fog Cloth for Eyeglasses, Microfiber Cleaning Cloth for Screen, Goggles and Ski Masks, Nano Technology, Reusable 700 Times, Safe on All Types of Lens Coating, Streak-Free (1 Pack)

You can't do anything about the heat and moisture from your breath building up in your mask, but I carry a 1-ounce bottle of pure rubbing alcohol which you can spritz on both the inside and outside of the mask, then give it a few moments. It helps to dry out the mask a bit faster, plus you're getting some disinfecting. I usually do it in the bathroom so I'm not removing my mask in a mass public space.

Then there's that fatigue on your ears. This makes me really grumpy. I was constantly adjusting the tension of the strings and it never became comfortable. For the ladies, I use these headbands. Lots of colors to choose from.
Women Headband with Buttons for Face Masks and Covers Unisex Elastic Hair Band for Nurses Doctors and Ears Protection (1- 4 color)

There's a variety of bands/mask extenders you can buy, too. Here's just one example of the varieties to choose from.
4 Pcs Mask Strap Extender, Anti-Tightening Mask Holder Hook Ear Strap Accessories Ear Grips Extension Mask Buckle Ear Pain Relieved Four Colours

Then there's the mask lanyard. I love this one because when you need to remove your mask, you don't have to shove it into your pocket or purse (which is dirty in and of itself). The N95s have a natural crease down the middle of the mask, so when you remove the mask, it can lay flat against your chest.
FINEST+6Pcs Colorful Mask Lanyard Straps for Back of Head or Neck with Clips and Adjustable Stopper for Extending Masks Buckle Band

And the last thing I have is a pair of clear safety goggles. I don't wear glasses for distance seeing, so I wear these in public spaces. The virus has the ability to get into your nose, mouth, AND eyes.

So, yes, it is possible to travel safely during a pandemic. It's not convenient and it's not comfortable. But what's the alternative? It's been nearly 18 months since this nightmare started and it's not going away soon. We might still be posting on this topic in 2025, and if you've stayed locked up in your town, in your house, or in your own mind, you will have missed precious opportunities to continue life's adventure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom