Is it possible to prevent water come in the 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apedai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have seen a lot of videos and photos of regulator maintenance, almost every one has scale inside, I would like to ask whether the first stage of water ingress and corrosion will definitely happen after a long time of use (unless disassemble and clean after every dive)? thanks
69f5cc1fly1hantxbuukmj21401hyha7.jpg

Reactions: OTF
I have seen a lot of videos and photos of regulator maintenance, almost every one has scale inside, I would like to ask whether the first stage of water ingress and corrosion will definitely happen after a long time of use (unless disassemble and clean after every dive)? thanksView attachment 767281
If you use Grade E air (very, very dry) in your scuba cylinder, and you make sure both your cylinder valve and your first stage are dry and free of salt before you attach the first stage to the valve, and you pressurize the regulator before you submerge it, and you do not allow the pressure in the system to fall too low, then your first stage should remain free of corrosion.

If any salt water is allowed to enter the regulator, then corrosion will happen.

ETA: Of course, ensure that your cylinder is filled only from well-maintained scuba compressor systems.

rx7diver

It is possible to prevent water from entering a first stage.
Some first stages are sealed or can be sealed to prevent water entering the piston ambient chamber or diaphragm spring area.
The photo shows an example of unsealed piston first stage, which will have corrosion build up in the ambient chamber up over time, especially when used in salt water.
There is potential for water to enter a first stage during rinsing, but this can be avoided by using proper rinsing techniques.
Putting wet dust caps back after a dive is another way for water to enter a first stage.

To add to @rx7diver ‘s post above, when you rinse your reg set make sure it’s attached to a tank and pressurized. After the reg is thoroughly soaked and rinsed allow it to dry still pressurized then disassemble everything and put it away. I have been doing it this way for years and I never have any corrosion or as much as even a dusty film inside. They are spotless even after several years of deffered maintenance. Sometimes I even wonder why I bothered to take them apart they look that good inside.

It is possible to prevent water from entering a first stage.
Some first stages are sealed or can be sealed to prevent water entering the piston ambient chamber or diaphragm spring area.
The photo shows an example of unsealed piston first stage, which will have corrosion build up in the ambient chamber up over time, especially when used in salt water.
There is potential for water to enter a first stage during rinsing, but this can be avoided by using proper rinsing techniques.
Putting wet dust caps back after a dive is another way for water to enter a first stage.
Thank you bro, please tell me more about rinsing techniques. My regulator is DIN type, can I attach dust cap and soak it in the sink? I heard that the yoke dust cap is not waterproof, is the din dust cap better?Soak with cylinder is not easy without pony bottle, and carrying a pony bottle when traveling is difficult Gear Rinse - Maybe a better way

添加到 @rx7diver 上面的帖子中,当你冲洗你的 reg set 时,确保它连接到一个水箱并加压。将 reg 彻底浸泡和冲洗后,让它在加压下干燥,然后拆卸所有部件并将其收起。多年来我一直这样做,我从来没有任何腐蚀,甚至内部没有一层灰尘薄膜。如果推迟维护,即使经过数年,它们也一尘不染。有时我什至想知道为什么我费心把它们拆开它们里面看起来那么好。
I plan to go liveaboard, if there is no water hose for flushing equipment I plan to use a bottle to pour water on the first stage, then remove the regulator, wipe the threads with paper towels, put the dust cap on and soak in fresh water, and finally blow dry with the gas cylinder. Is this method correct?

No, I don't put dust caps even dry ones allowing the reg to decondensate

No, I don't put dust caps even dry ones allowing the reg to decondensate
I've seen this done at a dive shop, all regulators don't have dust caps, they just hang there. At that time I thought the staff were lazy.

I plan to go liveaboard, if there is no water hose for flushing equipment I plan to use a bottle to pour water on the first stage, then remove the regulator, wipe the threads with paper towels, put the dust cap on and soak in fresh water, and finally blow dry with the gas cylinder. Is this method correct?
On a liveaboard this is not such a big problem as you are diving everyday and nothing gets to dry for very long. Just make a point of doing a good rinse at the end of the trip and again when you get home. Nothing on a liveaboard manages to get very dry before you pack up. Plan of a really good pressurized soak at home and then hang to dry under a fan.

On a liveaboard this is not such a big problem as you are diving everyday and nothing gets to dry for very long. Just make a point of doing a good rinse at the end of the trip and again when you get home. Nothing on a liveaboard manages to get very dry before you pack up. Plan of a really good pressurized soak at home and then hang to dry under a fan.
Thanks for advise~

Back
Top Bottom