Is it possible to clean a contaminated compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phutman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Is it possible to clean a contaminated compressor? I have an electric Max Air 35 compressor that was used in an experimental test vehicle. We used it several times (4-5 hrs) to compress modified internal combustion vehicle exhaust. The exhaust gas contained mostly co2, along with some water vapor and oil. We no longer need this compressor. Can it be cleaned sufficiently to be safe for use?

Does it look like this

444458036_475596711603450_6945761460897903887_n.jpg

I really don’t know, but I doubt it based on the limited use. I should probably look at the filter, the original one is still in place.

If you’re worried about toxins (I wouldn’t be) change filters, including the sintered filter on the final separator, run the compressor and run an air test.

Is it possible to clean a contaminated compressor? I have an electric Max Air 35 compressor that was used in an experimental test vehicle. We used it several times (4-5 hrs) to compress modified internal combustion vehicle exhaust. The exhaust gas contained mostly co2, along with some water vapor and oil. We no longer need this compressor. Can it be cleaned sufficiently to be safe for use?
As long as it hasn't compressed CNG / methane your OK (with consideration)

However it is critical to change 3 components that you can simply do yourself
1. The oil
2. The air intake filter
3. The chemical dehydrating filter tower filter cartridge

Before considering adapting it back to a scuba application maybe you should tell the buyer what it was used for and what you have done to make good. Re used for Paint ball user applications I don't care about but for breathing air application especially scuba.

As a passing comment your using the wrong compressor for exhaust emission sampling and testing
Some of the long chain hydrocarbons are adsorbed by the filter then desorbed out into you sampling
process giving you incorrect readings in addition some complex compounds are also missed in your analysis by heating them over and above the compound breakdown threshold by using this Max Air 35 junk scuba compressor. Read the label before you buy I guess LOL Iain

I'm fine now thanks iain, just cranked open the sandblaster with some good coarse garnet

008.JPG

Thank you for the information Iain. Indeed those are 3 things I can do myself. Once done, would the compressor be fit/safe to sell for tank filling for personal use? Wookie suggested an “air test”, what would that involve?

By the way, the gas we were compressing was not meant to be tested, it was being compressed and retained onboard the vehicle as an effort toward emission reduction.
It was not a normal IC engine. Here is a link to the paper we published.
Vic

Back
Top Bottom