Is it possible to "auto-level" avi. clips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'll drop that software then, becayse that is not what I am after.... "I am after the just drag the clip and hit autolevel version" :)

Does it excist??

Yes...Adobe Premiere Elements allows very easy adjustments such as this. The success of the process does however depend on the particular clip. I find that stuff shot in shallow water comes up with much improved colour. But stuff shot deep, which doesn't have much colour in the original footage, is unlikely to improve much. Personally I quite like the blue tones I get with the video I shoot on my Canon compact.

Premiere Elements is a very powerful program at a very reasonable price. It can also be bought bundled with Photoshop Elements which is a great value package.

OK... Maybee have a go? Is it in the CS3 Package?
I ask because I have uninstalled most of them (since I only use Photoshop),
I will let u know Perrone if I find something.

If you have CS3, you likely have the full version of Premiere. Premiere Elements is a starter version of Premiere. It won't be bundled in CS3 - it's the video version of Photoshop Elements. Version 7 is on pre-order currently so I'm assuming prices will drop on the previous version any day now.

Great, I will reinstall Elements from the package and have a go then... I am trying to upload videos on this site, but iy dosent work... anyone know how this works here?

My previous post may not have been clear:

If you have CS3 - you have the full version of Premiere. It does have a steeper learning curve but will also do everything you likely will need it to do. I haven't used it since v. 5.1 so I'm sure the color correction has changed dramatically.

For Premiere Elements you will have to purchase it once it's released. Adobe lists it as a pre-order on their website for $139US. via download. It's typically cheaper on Amazon.com or elsewhere.

To see if it will do what you want before purchase, you can register here and Adobe will send you a link to the trial version when it's available.

Another option you might try is Sony's Vegas Movie Studio. A free trial is available here: Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Movie Studio You can buy it for $55US via download - $69 boxed. Vegas has kind of a quirky user interface though, I happen to like it, others don't.

To upload video here it has to be in one of these formats: mpeg,mpg,avi,asf,wmv,mov and less than 10MB in size. So it's really only useful for small clips. Use the same process as the photogallery upload - I think, I've never actually done it.

A better idea might be to upload them to vimeo.com (it's free) and link to your video's in your posts here - we now have an embed code: [vimeo] just for that purpose.

I don't think there's a way to do it in the base Movie Maker applet, but on a Mac, iMovie can indeed auto-level an entire clip (and adjust exposure, saturation, hue-shift, etc.) in real-time, so I imagine functionality at least as powerful must exist in Premiere. Sorry, I know this isn't entirely helpful, but take it as strong evidence that a solution does exist :)

How do you auto level an entire clip in i-Movie? This is a great thread! I learned alot about white balance from the video "experts" here! My point and shoot videos (using a digital camera, not camcorder) aren't as blue anymore!

In Premiere Elements (my version is V3 so I hope this applies to newer versions) go to the Effects and Transitions panel. Click on 'Video Effects', then select 'Adjust'. Under this option you will find choices such as: Auto Colour, Auto Contrast, Auto Levels, Brightness and Contrast etc. You simply drag and drop one of these selections onto the video clip in your Timeline.

HTH, Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom