Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one governing body that all the agencies follow.
Er ... and who might that be? If you say RSTC, please click here before proceeding, else... I'm all ears.

The only way you'd know is if the person had a c-card from an agency that required you know how to swim before learning to dive (or a swimming cert).

I met an instructor certified by a certain agency who couldn't put her own mask strap on, or her BCD on the tank in the right position, or properly weight herself... bet you can't guess. Not even sure she could swim.

Why would anybody even take such a chance? I would never get near the water if I could'nt swim, let alone submerge my whole body in it.

Great idea and you would think that to be true. But I am in the Navy and have seen MANY people who have joined and cannot swim or are very afraid of the water. Go figure...

Er ... and who might that be? If you say RSTC, please click here before proceeding, else... I'm all ears.

You need some permission set some way to see that post. Not even sure what forum it is in...

You need some permission set some way to see that post. Not even sure what forum it is in...

It's in the Instructor to Instructor forum, so most can see it. I would quote it here, but that wiould be a violation of the rules of the I to I forum. It's Thal's post, so he can certainly repost his own words here. I believe the point he was trying to make is the RSTC's atandards are extremely low and were never intended to actually be more than a screen behind which agencies could hide.

Since they've been adopted, I've seen them lowered (when swimming was made optional) and PADI almost immediately adopt the lower standard.

How would you know?

You got a point dude. Well, that got me thinking. How do you know whether a certified buddy (who you just met on a dive holiday for example) knows how to swim or not?

I guess it all boils down to why some instructors certify people who have weak swimming abilities. No offense meant here, but this is really happening in the industry...

Great idea and you would think that to be true. But I am in the Navy and have seen MANY people who have joined and cannot swim or are very afraid of the water. Go figure...

Yeah, go figure, I 've met hundreds of people who've got on airplane's and not a single one of them could fly!!!:D

my gf says you have to read before you can learn to write...

You live in a free country.....you can kill yourself if you want to.....you live in the good ole USA...if you get hurt, your family can always sue your instructor or the agency and live the high life after you are gone. What a stupid question....rotflmao

Absolutely, the title of this thread is a troll!

If you can't swim, you shouldn't take up SCUBA.....but I really don't care. We will read about you in the future.....

Dang...humans can be so stupid.

I can't believe this thread has 9 pages of responses....I can't believe this thread is taken seriously.....but it does make for some fun reading. I can't believe I actually posted on this thread.....this is just too funny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom