Is it okay to be a quasi-solo diver in certain situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a somewhat similar (and funny) experience on a boat out of Pensacola. Just me and two newbie young girls (the Capt. did us a favour to go out since the other diver or two cancelled, so I guess he didn't make much money that day). He asked the girls if they had computers--"no". Use tables and watch? "no". How do you know your time at a certain depth? "We always just followed the other guy". Funny, but apparently commonplace. So, I was a solo diver as he held their hands. Another time off Myrtle Beach my instabuddy was too COLD for dive #2 (how do you get COLD in SC?), so again I'm solo with the ship's blessing. Wonder what liability issues occur in these situations. I'm not comfortable diving solo below 30', since I know I can do a CESA from there and do practice it. But, you do what you gotta do, and "pony"-up.
Just realised poor choice of words. So before getting scolded for doing something I'm not "comfortable" with, I'll re-phrase it: I feel very competent in doing a dive to 100+ feet solo, but prefer to be with a buddy due to the greater risk on such a dive (yes I know a buddy can also make a dive MORE dangerous, but that's another thread). I feel the deeper you are, the more that can happen that can put you in a mess. At 30' or less solo, you can become unconscious (heart attack?) or ENTANGLED. Other than that, not very risky. In those deep solo situations I do try to keep an eye on where the DM/others are--like around the other side of the wreck, etc. So, I guess I have had a little experience in "quasi solo diving".

Last edited:
There is no such thing as quasi-solo. You have a buddy or you don't.

You really should take the solo course, either SDI or PADI, they are almost identical. Solo diving is about more than having redundant gas. This is not to say that an insta-buddy can't be a liabiity, but rather that a larger liability may be not knowing what you don't know.

Google says Bermuda Triangle (ScubaGreenville.com) offers SDI Solo.

Plot twist: You're always a solo diver.
When you're inhaling water because your distracted "buddy" has wandered over to admire the coral, there's only one body that goes in the body recovery bag. Drowning isn't a team sport.

This is even more so when that "buddy" is some guy/gal you just met 20 minutes ago before you got on the boat, and whose gonna be back in his/her office Monday morning regardless of whether you breathe water or air. :)

Last edited:
Plot twist: You're always a solo diver.
When you're inhaling water because your distracted "buddy" has wandered over to admire the coral, there's only one body that goes in the body recovery bag. Drowning isn't a team sport.

This is even more so when that "buddy" is some guy/gal you just met 20 minutes ago before you got on the boat, and whose gonna be back in his/her office Monday morning regardless of whether you breathe water or air. :)

+1. If you don't believe it, watch this:

In the "early" days back when we didn't even need to be certified to use SCUBA, diving solo was often dictated by having to share a single rig.Since then I have probably done 90% of my dives solo (buddying up when a good one was available or when traveling to destinations I was unfamiliar with). Today I don't see someone with less than 25 dives to be ready to solo dive, but then I don't know the OP. I never tell anyone they are ready to solo dive unless I am pretty familiar with their diving skills AND (most importantly) whether they panic when faced with a problem. A diver who tends to panic may not even be ready to buddy dive.

@Kharon,

Brilliant vid. Recreational Solo Diving is now supported by both time and numbers. Worse yet, it just feels right to me. My concern is centered on that very first step where the path diverges.

How does a new diver who has been indoctrinated into believing that solo diving is a ridiculously deviant sport take the first step while continuing to be a responsible, safety conscious, and thinking diver?

@Kharon,
How does a new diver who has been indoctrinated into believing that solo diving is a ridiculously deviant sport take the first step while continuing to be a responsible, safety conscious, and thinking diver?

Get the SDI Solo Diving Manual (ISBN: 1-931-451-50-8). I think you can order it directly from SDI/TDI - I did. Read it (or better, study it) carefully. I re-read mine over every winter just to refresh myself. I don't really need to , but it doesn't hurt.

Then, get the redundant equipment and learn to use it. You won't be certified as a solo diver but you will not be dependant on muppets. Then when you have the experience (SDI AOW and 100 dives) take the course and get the card.

Ah! Imagine my chagrin.

I foolishly booked solo with a "name" instructor who prides him/her self with a pass/fail ratio. I was not instructed, I was assessed. Big problem, my up-front stated intent was to get a solo card at minimum agency standards in order to be able to practice certain skills in a local quarry without boring the life out of a useless buddy. Expensive misfire.

Now I just dive by myself. Catch/find me if you can...

It's just good to be self-reliant. A buddy is good, but IMO, not a mandatory requirement. Thing is, none of the charter services here will allow you to solo dive even if you show them your SSI cert. card. I've asked them. The only option for solo diving on a charter is for two solo cert. divers to pretend to be "buddies" on the boat before they jump into the water, and then become solo divers on the way down. Other wise the capn's are too scared of lawyers to allow it to happen as a blessed event.

If I get paired with a regular insta-buddy on the boat, soloing isn't an option because I'm not going to swim off and leave some guy all to his own to fend for himself.

@Kharon,

Brilliant vid. Recreational Solo Diving is now supported by both time and numbers. Worse yet, it just feels right to me. My concern is centered on that very first step where the path diverges.

The obvious answer would be "take the class", if one's of a mindset to believe that training is the answer to all problems. Unfortunately that isn't always the case. Certainly a solo class is a great way to learn about the differences in mindset and preparation for solo diving ... but there's also no substitute for bottom time and practicing your emergency skills to the point where you can do them without having to put a lot of thought and effort into what you're doing.

A thinking diver begins most questions with the word "why" ... when you figure that out, you're probably ready to start considering solo diving as a viable option ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I get paired with a regular insta-buddy on the boat, soloing isn't an option because I'm not going to swim off and leave some guy all to his own to fend for himself.

I'm a big believer in commitment if you're diving with someone else ... but that said, there's times when you SHOULD leave some guy all to his own to fend for himself. Once in Bonaire I got paired with a fellow who was determined to go all the way to the bottom ... regardless of how deep that was. We had a plan, based on the fact that this was our fourth dive of the day. The plan was for a max depth of 60 feet. That fellow headed straight down the reef. I followed him down to about 105, and then pulled up. I tried tapping on my tank to get his attention, but he kept on going. I wasn't willing to go there, so I leveled off and stayed above him. He was at least 30 feet below me, and showing no inclination to come any shallower, even after he looked up and saw me above him, signaling frantically for him to come shallower. After a few minutes, I headed up on my own ... leaving him there to fend for himself.

If your buddy makes a conscious choice to do something stupid, you are not under any obligation to indulge his stupidity. At that point, you're safer as a solo diver ... although if you're not properly prepared for it, your solo dive should be limited to making a controlled ascent and ending the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom