Is it okay to be a quasi-solo diver in certain situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"and boom your resources are doubled."
Heheh. Common sense would say so, yes. But statisticians and aircraft designers will tell you that every time you double the number of "parts" you quadruple the number of failures you are likely to have. That's why they build transoceanic aircraft these days with TWO engines instead of FOUR, because four engines means a much higher number of engine failures. (Yes, the 747 has four, mainly because it has to distribute stresses on the wings and it needs more power than two could provide. They had no choice.)

So, with divers being biomechanical "systems" which is just a fancier kind of "machine"....Diving with a buddy would statistically make it much more probably that you would encounter a problem. And as DAN and the USCG had both confirmed long ago, when one diver gets in trouble, BOTH are more likely to die. Even in basic Red Cross water safety training, they'll tell you a drowning person will try to literally climb on top of the rescuer. So you try to stay out of reach, and be prepared to slug the victim if that's what it takes to keep them in control.

Ready to slug your buddy? Sure your buddy won't panic?
You're not an airplane. You're a diver. Transoceanic aircraft also have two engines vs one, and two pilots (FO).

And all that "be prepared to slug a victim" stuff is toughguy nonsense. YOU might be the one panicking. Be prepared to get slugged I guess.

The PADI OW manual I used 12 years ago notes the benefits of buddy diving. But no advice on how to do it properly..

In the 1980 PADI manual they had a section labeled Buddy System Procedures which give the basics. The instructor expanded on that in class, probably due to the skill needed to be effective buddys in low viz conditions in the area. The basic lesson is that the buddy system is no good if you don't stay together, everything else can be worked out.

The class I was in, since it was long, the instructor spent a lot of time expanding the topics in the manual as well as covering area NorCal specific information. I learned more in the class than I thought I would considering I had been diving for years prior, but hadn't picked up a c-card yet.

Bob
------------------
...dives solo, but knows how to buddy dive properly.

I should clarify, having looked it up in that 2005 manual. There is half a page on the buddy system, basically telling you to stay together and work at it. No suggestions on how close, formations for 2 or more divers, low viz or good viz, etc. I guess I'm thinking there should be more than one page.

I guess I'm thinking there should be more than one page.

Now that is what class instruction, with Q&A would be helpful. One of the negatives of online instruction.

Bob

Now that is what class instruction, with Q&A would be helpful. One of the negatives of online instruction.

Bob
Agree. Unfortunately I, like many beginners, would probably not think to ask those questions in class.

You're not an airplane. You're a diver. Transoceanic aircraft also have two engines vs one, and two pilots (FO).

And all that "be prepared to slug a victim" stuff is toughguy nonsense. YOU might be the one panicking. Be prepared to get slugged I guess.

Has anyone ever actually attempted to "slug" somebody underwater? Besides the abject stupidity of the idea, I would think that water density would make the attempt rather ineffective.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I should clarify, having looked it up in that 2005 manual. There is half a page on the buddy system, basically telling you to stay together and work at it. No suggestions on how close, formations for 2 or more divers, low viz or good viz, etc. I guess I'm thinking there should be more than one page.

Yes there should. Some topics could be things like position and spacing (variable, dependent on conditions), how to use eye contact and hand signals to communicate, the use of lights as signaling devices (active and passive), awareness issues (the physical act of turning your head to compensate for the reduced visual range that comes from wearing a mask), the "art" of not assuming, how to work together to reduce task loading, tips and tricks for not losing each other (I can think of many right off the top of my head, ranging from slowing down in low-vis conditions to contacting your buddy first before stopping or changing direction). Tips and tricks for diving as a buddy team literally dominate the mentoring I do with divers ... it always amazes me how little some of them know, given their various training and experience levels before I meet them. And yet most of this stuff is simple, or boils down to common sense ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob

Oh, you could put it online ... most of what could be covered in class instruction is addressed in one or more of the articles I have on my website. I wrote those articles specifically for recreational-level divers who haven't had the opportunity to learn these things through class or experience ...

NWGratefulDiver.com

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting subject, and relates to some other threads about buddies, and more specifically buddying with the DM, as I had to last week.

I was in Hawaii for a couple of weeks for work, and had one day off to get a dive in. There were 3 groups on the boat, two of them classes (one wreck, and one DPV), and one of certified divers out for a two-tank rec (wreck and reef) dive trip. 5 divers and 1 DM, and I was the odd man out, so I was buddied with the DM. Based on recent discussions here, I figured that he would be mostly acting as a guide and overall watch dog, so I mentally prepared myself to be basically solo since I didn't particularly want to just follow him around like a puppy while he led the group, and have no input on what we stopped to look at. We didn't do any formal buddy checks, but I asked him about air sharing procedures with the rented equipment (it was one of those rigs that have the alternate on the inflator hose).

When we descended do the wreck (the Sea Tiger, IIRC), he watched me pretty closely for a few minutes, probably getting a feel for my skills and comfort in the water, and then started swimming around showing things to the group. I had my camera and was taking a lot of pictures, but still checking frequently on where the group was, though at one point I got mixed up with one of the other groups diving from the boat, and it took a minute or two to find my group again. We were pretty deep (bottomed out at 114'), so I was watching my air and NDL quite closely, probably every 2 min or so, and at least once I noticed the DM watching me while I checked my computer. I don't think he ever asked me what my air status was on the first dive, likely because he could see that I was keeping a close eye on it. At the end of the dive he came around to me and pointed at me and gave me the thumbs up signal, indicating to me that he wanted me to head up without him, so that's what I did, while he hung back at the end of the line of people going up the anchor line. Apparently I interpreted it correctly, because he didn't say anything afterward. I'm glad I had seen the DM-as-buddy comments here, because it made me a little more comfortable with the situation. 26 min, max depth of 114', and still had 1000 psi left in an AL80 when I was on the boat.

When we got to the reef dive (Horseshoe Reef), he basically just acted as a group guide, not paying me any extra (buddy-like) attention until was time to turn the dive and head back to the anchor line. And that was fine with me; there were a lot of pretty fish and a big eel to look at, and the group pretty much stuck together anyway. He did ask for my air once that I recall on that dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom