Is it ok to ask to join a random group of divers on the spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get seasick at all, so I'm not sure if you can get seasick on a surface swim, but if not, the shore diving's great. I've done four boat dives in Monterey/Carmel and about 60 shore dives.

If I didnt have a 3 hour drive from the sacramento area maybe I would join you guys more often. That and an overwhelming fear of sea sickness :(
It takes me 2:45 minutes to get to Monterey. Over 3 hours if towing, due to the speed limit. (Hence why the North Coast is my main diving location, as it is only 1:15). As to sea sickness, well if you get sick you get sick. Nothing to fear, unless it incapacitates you. If you are planning on being on a boat and know you get sick, then take something. If the water is rough and you get sea sick take something. I have learned what messes with me and avoid the situations as best as possible. Shallow surgy areas with the purple kelp...oh no! That would be McAbee headed almost straight out.
I don't get seasick at all, so I'm not sure if you can get seasick on a surface swim, but if not, the shore diving's great. I've done four boat dives in Monterey/Carmel and about 60 shore dives.
In all my years of boating I have never puked off a boat (Watched many a person heaving over the side though). I am sure my day will come though. We will often do 4 boat dives in a weekend. One of my friends gets sea sick pretty easy and we do our best to keep him in the right frame of mind. I have gotten a little sea sick sitting on the surface taking a class during rough conditions. Once back on the bottom all was good. Of course a few weeks ago in 2-3' of vis I started getting queasy from moving fast and far with the strong surge. I have other friends that both get sea sick routinely and just consider it part of an average dive plan.

Sometimes though diving is just not worth it. Hard to get sea sick at the aquarium.

Yeah, I think I let the fear of sea sickness keep me from enjoying diving sometimes. I just don't think I would even want to dive anymore after getting sick. I just need to try it and see what happens.

There are so many options to prevent sea sickness. The fear of it shouldn't stop you from diving! I use the scopolamine patch for multi-day diving, and scopace pills for one day trips. I am someone who gets motion sick easily, but I've never gotten sick using the above mentioned meds.

Yeah, I think I let the fear of sea sickness keep me from enjoying diving sometimes. I just don't think I would even want to dive anymore after getting sick. I just need to try it and see what happens.

Different meds will affect differently people differently. For ME, the only impact of using scopace/scopolamine is a bit of a drier mouth, easily offset by simply drinking more water. Which is good anyway.

We're getting a bit off topic from the start of this thread, but my main point is that there are a LOT of different options out there to deal with sea sickness. Some over the counter, some prescription. And you may not get it right the first time, but there is almost certainly some option out there that will keep you from getting sick. So don't let the fear of it keep you from diving. Ask your pharmacist or GP about options.

Those dont make you drowsy or less alert?

Chadk: scopace pills. They are magic. You need a doctor's prescription, but they're just great. no drowsiness for me, very slight dry mouth (very slight). only real symtpom is it makes you a bit dizzy *before* you go out on the boat. i only take it an hour before the boat leaves.

and i only need them in monterey for boat dives -- not hawaii, or catalina, or shore dives. very nice, easy stuff. i was recommended to try this by others in my group who swear by it and now i swear by it too --- it's like night and day, in terms of comfort.

recommendation: if you get it, take one pill on land a week or so ahead of time so you'll know that you're OK and realize that the dizziness you get in the first hour or so is very, very slight.

Chadk: scopace pills. They are magic.

recommendation: if you get it, take one pill on land a week or so ahead of time so you'll know that you're OK and realize that the dizziness you get in the first hour or so is very, very slight.

I second this: try them on dry land (half pill or something) if you can. Most of the time when I take them I'm just fine but have been known to come home with a fever on days when I use Scopace but I would never have one in the past before I took the pill. The key is to be well hydrated and don't take chances (as is the case with diving, more the case -- for me -- when taking Scopace).

Alwayz ask! Divers have natural tendency to invite and interest "newbs" to grow a love for the Marine Neighborhoods we all respect. Divers are so different than surfers in many wayz. Asking if "I can surf with you" at a sweet spot is not gonna happen until a long investment in a relationship with the locals.

I don't like to dive with newbs who jus' drove in, but MANY of my buddies do! DiveVets.com in So Cal is a great example of "come on out, an get wet with us". I dig diving with folks who have more experience than I, maybe that makes me an eternal newb? ...or J/A ;~)

Be Safe Out There!

I have thought about going up to random people and asking to dive but never actually gone through with it.

Personally if I have never dove with someone I tend to want to do a test dive somewhere safe with easy entry and exit. Heck I do this as a DM too. Now of its a rougher day, or we plan to do a long dive, or long surface swim I'd generally politely decline.

It really comes down to the fact that theres more to diving than diving. People can have issues with improperly maintained gear, rough entries/exits, high SAC rates, health conditions, or generally not following the dive plan. That all aside there is an art to being a good buddy.

If the group is quite large I'd expect a skill range that could fit you into a comfortable slot. Smaller groups like others said, I'd prepare to be turned down.

Plus there is a Liability issue that I won't even get into.

I do all kinds of diving, and love helping new divers fine tune their skills. I also love crazy dives, like sore diving mono lobo. So without asking the group you will never know what they plan to do.

Back
Top Bottom