Is it ok to ask to join a random group of divers on the spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been comfortable just going up to a group of people and asking them. I don't like to put myself out there like that. Seems like it should be fine though, the worst that can happen is no. From what i've seen most divers are super nice!

However, if you (like I have seen) try to wrap your BC around your tank using the shoulder straps, you'll look like a rescue waiting to happen and - believe it or not - folks will be doing you a favor when they refuse to dive with you. :wink:
Oh the stories I could tell of the divers I have seen or met over the years would fill another thread.
Lets just say that I have often wondered if they were even certified and by whom.

fuzzybabybunny ran into my buddy and I on Friday at Lover's so he joined us for a dive. I honestly didn't expect that to happen so immediately :) Fun times.

Well, I asked lots of groups at Breakwater but they all turned me down :(

"We've already got an even number of people" and "we're taking a class"

taking a class is valid reason. don't take it personally. not many instructors are willing to add non-student divers esp. if they don't know them.

Well, I asked lots of groups at Breakwater but they all turned me down :(
Sorry to hear you didn't have success finding a buddy pair.
"We've already got an even number of people" and "we're taking a class"
In more advanced training with agencies like UTD and GUE (Probably others too) they teach you to dive in a team of three, since it gives you a better chance, with three brains, three sets of hands, etc, to resolve an issue. Of course that is not something I would expect many people to allow without proper training. They are trained to dive in teams of two only, and many would struggle to keep a group of three people together in low vis. Especially without bright can lights.

I live in Santa Cruz, so I'm pretty close to Monterey. Weekends I sort of almost live in Monterey :)

I'm also super shy about going up to people and meeting them, so I totally understand. Despite being fairly outgoing, I seem to have a healthy fear of rejection :/

If I didnt have a 3 hour drive from the sacramento area maybe I would join you guys more often. That and an overwhelming fear of sea sickness :(

Back
Top Bottom