Is it better to train abroad or in the uk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lauraegan

Reaction score
I'm an as student interested in diving. I have to write an article on the subject and i'm wondering if anyone would help me. I've been diving before but i'm not a qualified diver. I would like to know people opinions on the subject. Is it better to dive in the uk or abroad? Any help would be recieved grafefully,
Thanks a lot
Love
Laura
xxx
:confused:

Laura,

My recommendation would be to train in the UK -- especially if you plan to do local diving in the UK, you'll be better prepared for colder, lower visibility waters and all that goes along with that type of diving.

My £0.02.

-LD

Laura,

You've asked two different quenstions. Is it better to train in the UK or abroad? Is it better to dive in the UK or abroad?

BSAC offers some of the best training anywhere. I'd recommend finding a good BSAC instructor in your local area.

Diving is personal. It depends on what you enjoy. Some will prefer one, some the other. Other divers will enjoy both.

DSSW,

WWW™

I would give two answers to your question.

First, I recommend that a beginner train in conditions similar to what they would find locally. If you are from the U.K. then train in the U.K.

Second, for professional level training, I recommend training (or at least extensive exposure to) diving abroad. I think it is important that you be exposed to divers from many parts of the world who were trained differently from you. I think you are more likely to get that exposure training abroad.

Train in the UK - if you can do it there you can do it most anywhere.

I did all my training in the UK and am much happier that I did - I also enjoy diving abroad all that much better because of it. Just ask around and make sure you get a good instructor - I'm afraid I can't help on the Manchester area being a Londoner.

Have fun
Jonathan

Hi Laura,
If you want an adventure holiday, go to a warm water resort and do a Padi O/W course. I don't think the qualification is worth much, but it quickly gets you into calm clear safe shallow water with someone to watch over you, its fun, exciting and not overly expensive.
I am of the opinion that diving should be done on a regular basis or not at all.
If you want to become an active diver, join BSAC or SAA. There is no point in joining a club, without a commitment to diving on a regular basis, and getting your own equipment. Club training for the sports diver cert is slow and if you turn up for regular weekly pool practice, you may qualify to go into the sea in three to five months time or +- 20 hours. Sea training will take about the same time. If you don't come out on a regular basis, expect the instructors to be reluctant to assess you. There is no legal contract, but the club system only survives because some of those who accepted training, help train others.
I suppose the best of both world's is to do a professional BSAC school course, then decide if you want to join the club.
It seems like half the club members got their first introduction to diving through a certificate agency like Padi.
If you want help on an article about uk diving send me a p/m, maybe I can help.
Regards,
Budgy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom