is it bad to empty a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We could go back and forth about whether or not water would damage it etc.!!! How bout this: before a fill let a little air out thru the valve and always leave a couple hundred PSI in the tank...the dive ops that I've been on have a rule to board the boat after a dive with 500 PSI or forfeit the next dive!

well I got my tank filled, I have been tought to respect thr 500 psi rule also, but slipped! So My tank is deemed ok, and the fill operator was not in the least concerned.

Ill have to be more carefull in the future!

thanks everyone!
Bob

truck1:
And our cylinders are composite/fiberglass wrapped.

Are these actual Scuba cylinders? Not scba right?

Who made them?

rjack321:
Are these actual Scuba cylinders? Not scba right?

Who made them?

No.These are SCBA not scuba.(I work for a Fire Dept.In Winter Haven Fl.)The main difference besides not using them under water is the working pressure.The pressures on our scba are 4500 lbs. as opposed to 3000 psi for scuba.They are made by a lot of the same comps. that make scuba bottles.Luxfer is one for example.Other than that they are treated the exact same way.Every 5 years they have to go out for hydros and they have a lifespan of 15 years.We were told by the manufacturer that any time a cylinder is emptied, it needs to be opened for inspection, prior to filling them.
Here is one other thing I noticed too.
When you walk into a dive shop, they fill bottles in 1 of 2 ways.Either on the floor standing up or in a pool of water.
When we fill a FD scba bottle, we are required (by a national orginazation) to fill it in a "bomb proof"chamber.The chamber basically deflects the air and fragments away from the operator to a safe location, should a bottle fail.
With all of the money that a dive shop owner puts in to a shop, I cant understand why they would not spend a little extra to safeguard their employees and the patrons alike.(they are only about $3000)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom