Is it all in the legs, upper body, what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are at odds on this. He says that in order to be a stronger diver (not including the swimming part - just hoisting and walking around with the gear) you need to increase leg strength. I find that I need better leg strength but also need to work on stabilizing myself once I have all the gear loaded up. I'm short and don't weigh a lot, so I feel like all it would take is a small sideways nudge and I'd be laid out waiting for someone to pick me up (help, I've fallen and I can't get up!). And I know that I need to work on arm strength just to make getting out of the water easier too.

So yes, leg work is a must - but what can I do to improve my balance? Is it upper body (shoulders and arms), back muscles - what?

Thanks in advance.

Ideally you should concentrate on overall strength to avoid unnecessary wear and tear and other issues. Also, it helps to visualize the body as the continuum that it is rather than parts put together as it is traditionally (and often inappropriately) viewed. This is not to say that focusing on certain areas more than others is without value. It all depends on what needs to be accomplished and the pertinent circumstances. Now, to stay in line with the topic, your lower body strength will take the priority.

Keep in mind that reactive forces (which propels us on the ground) enter our bodies through our feet as long we are engaged in any form of ambulation requiring both feet to be in contact with the ground. Walking around in gear fits the description. When you are diving your legs are you primary means of motion. Very skilled divers rely on lower body movement alone for underwater motion leaving their hands free for other tasks. I do not exactly know what you mean by "getting out the water easier" but if you referring to holding to a ladder in rough water, or climbing on a zodiac, etc, you will need upper body strength as well but keep in mind that is only a small portion of the dive in relation to the rest. Hence, the need for an overall strength program.

I do not think is fair to compare yourself to other divers when it comes to being stable on land with heavy gear on. In relation to you, you may be hoisting well over 50% of your body weight. Under certain circumstances, as when diving cold water with thick protection, extra ballast, steel tanks, or taking the tech route with doubles plus stage bottles, you may be carrying as much as your body weight (or close) on you. 60 pounds of gear is a breeze for tall diver who weighs 200 lbs while it may be overwhelming for a petite female barely breaking the scale past 110. Anyone, not just you, would be challenged under such circumstances.

The above example is another supporting point to favor lower body strength since your lower body is your base and where the reactive forces enter first. The stronger the base, the more stable the structure. It is unfortunate that flexibility, balance, endurance, etc. are still being seen as separate qualities rather than the continuum which has strength as its foundation. Yes, strength, no the biased "what do you bench?" type of strength, but rather your ability to overcome inertia.

There will be other circumstances in which your balance will be challenged. Vestibular issues, righting reflex disorders, neuromuscular issues from trauma or overuse, among many, will affect your balance, but these have to be addressed by a qualified professional and are beyond this topic.

Select a strength training program meeting your current physical levels and guides you to improvement. If possible, hire your local strength professional to help you get started. You may hear colorful terms (like core, functional, real life, etc) quite popular right now. Though they are addressing non-existing conditions and fallacies, they still can provide you with good variety for an overall conditioning so give them a go. Remember there is no such thing as one size fits all.

Take care and happy diving!

kimbalabala, I feel your pain, and I have only a partial answer. I am 5'4" and 120 lbs, and walk into the water routinely with 100 lbs of gear. I know the unstable feeling -- and it's real. I HAVE fallen, and broke my face last year.

Leg strength does help. Core strength helps. Good footgear helps. But in the end, a small woman wearing her body's weight worth of gear probably benefits most from some help. I have learned to ask my dive buddy to stay nearby during exits to give me a simple hand for balance, and when climbing boat ladders, I ask the crew to give me a tug on my manifold if I need it. I'm ashamed of having to do that, but I'd rather dive than be proud, and I do NOT want to get hurt again.

Strengthen your core, your equip isn't so heavy it should tire your legs out. You are using your core to stabilize your body and your keep the balance while walking around with your gear on. Crunches, back extensions, and throw in some rows to work your middle back and you should see a big change in comfort relatively soon.

Coach izzy - this is great information! The fact that my body has told me that this process requires balances also tells me that there are parts of it that require more strength. It feels like the weakest section from head to foot is where I'm going to get an injury or where I'm going to crumble. You're right - it's going to have to be a whole body effort. I've thought about getting that book on yoga for divers - maybe that, paired with a good all-over strength building program at the local gym will be the ticket. Yes, what I was talking about was the upper body strength needed to pull myself up out of water and up the ladder.

TSandM - oh my. Your fall is exactly what I fear for myself. So sorry it actually happened to you. And you keep diving! Again - my hero!

Goonsquad - you mentioned the dreaded scrunches! I know it will be part of the overall program. But just the mention makes me want to go grab a book and find a corner!!!

Thanks all!

Yes, I went face-first into some rocks, and broke the plate of bone your eye sits on. I do not want to do that again! (And it was particularly ironic, because I observed about diving, when I learned to do it, that I had finally found a sport I wouldn't break bone doing.) It has made me swallow my pride (sometimes) and ask for help. I feel incredibly stupid and embarrassed, climbing out of the water holding my dive buddy's hand like a three year old crossing a street, but it beats the alternative, which is being out of the water for weeks or months while healing an injury.

OUCH! That must have really hurt.

Yep - relying on someone is a humbling experience - even if this IS a buddy sport - but it's a necessary evil and yes, sure as heck beats the alternative.

Back
Top Bottom