Is Hyperstretch or Thermoprene worth the extra $$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myssi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to buy a wetsuit for my hubby for Christmas. We are semi-new divers and have rented wetsuits up until now (I know - ew!). We only dive once a year during our annual Caribbean trip (about 3 days of 2 tank diving), so he probably doesn't need a top-of-the-line suit.

I was looking at Henderson's Neosport shorty because it looks like a nice suit for a low price. But I do want to get him something that will be comfortable and will last, so I was also considering Henderson's Thermoprene and Hyperstretch, as well as the Pinnacle Spirit Titanium.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any experiences to share with these suits?

I have the thermoprene and I like it. It's the lower priced line compared to the hyperstretch, but it's plenty stretchy anyway, and a little warmer then the hyperstretch. Just make sure it fits well since that's the key to being comfy.

I don't know what thickness you are thinking about getting, sounds like it is relatively lightweight given the diving you do. I got a 5/3mm hyperstretch hooded vest because I wear it over 7mm of neoprene, which is pretty restricting. However, my "warmer water" suits are all standard. I have an O'Neill shorty (2 mm) and a 3mm fullsuit, both just standard neoprene. I think where the hyperstretch comes in hand is when the person is (a) less fit or has a less "standard" body shape or (2) where there is so much thickness of the suit that the stretch of the fabric makes a big difference. Caribbean diving really shouldn't need that kind of neoprene. It is lightweight enough to be easy to get into.

Go cheap, if you start diving a lot then consider spending money on the wetsuit. They degrade over time even when not in use. The degradation is dependent on staorage conditions, but even in a good enviornment they degrade. Shorty over full is a personal choice, even in the tropics I prefer a full, not for the thermal protection but against any unseen organism (like a jelly) that you might encounter.

A lot of it depends on how well you fit the standard wet suits. For me a standard wet suit has a girth problem, or I have a girth problem, depending on your view I suppose. The hyper stretch deals with it quite nicely, they are also somewhat easier to get in and out of. Down side they cost more, so if you don't need the feature don't spend the money. Or better yet, go try some on and see which you like more.

I have an Oneil that I really like. The main part is 2 mm and the arms and legs are 1 mm. It's a long sleeve shorty. I like that my arms are protected a little more. It's so thin that it's already very soft and extremely easy to get in and out of. Full versus shorty is personal preference in how well you handle the temp and the level of protection you want. You can get a 1 mm suit from Pinnacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom