Is Florida Keys so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were there in August (Key Largo) and the diving was really good, low-key and fun! I have to add that we did a dive on French Reef and it looked pretty beat up. We were told they are planning to remove one or more mooring balls on French to give a bit of a break. Not sure if that has happened or not. I'm sure it'll come back nicely if they do that. Everywhere else looked good. Lots of fish and quite a few Eagle Rays!
French reef is supposed to now be open to fishing in the new future sanctuary blueprint
If you thought it looked beat up then, it will not be any better if they go through with this

I just returned from my 3rd GC trip.

On the 2nd/3rd best dive of the week we saw 1 nurse shark and similarly the boat was ecstatic... on both of my keys trips I didn't even try to count how many we saw every day...
30 seconds into our dive on the Benwood back in August.....

French reef is supposed to now be open to fishing in the new future sanctuary blueprint
If you thought it looked beat up then, it will not be any better if they go through with this
Yikes

My wife and I made it down there about once a year for several years around 10 years ago, and we would stay in an Airbnb/VRBO in Key Largo. It was under $100/night then. I just took a look at Airnbnb and see that the prices for a little cottage like we would get are at least $125 plus cleaning fee now, but that's not all that different from places we stay elsewhere in the US. Prices seem to have increased everywhere.

With a national income ranking of #48 out of 50 I understand your adversity to income taxes.

We stayed in a tiny home in Key Largo a few weeks ago. It was a convenient drive to Rainbow Reef. I saw a ton of marine life. This was my dive on Pickles Reef. If you want to see fish, visit Pickles:

Very nice video

Get in touch with Amy Slate (Amoray) in Key Largo or Mike with Key Dives in Islamorada - they may be able to help you. We usually stay at Amoray's in KL and Breezy Palms or La Jolla in IM

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom