Is Florida Keys so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I checked my friend before Covid and she tell me you can get a hotel for below 100. Diving was also may be 70 USD per trip. I check now and all hotels are over 200 and diving is over 110 for boat trip? Can anyone give suggestion for cheaper hotel to live in for a week? I come myself and buddy so we do not need fancy. Thanks.

Yes. Very expensive. Better diving for less money in the Bahamas or Puerto Rico

Can anyone give suggestion for cheaper hotel to live in for a week?

AirBnB or hotel in Florida City or Southern Homestead. But we are entering the busy season, so it is rather expensive. Prices start to come down around April or May.

Did the Keys, back in like 2004 or 2005 and have never went back. Better or as good diving in many other places for less money and more things to do on the surface.

Great diving and amazing fish life
Unfortunately everything has gone up in the last couple of years
Try and contact some of the dive ops and see if they have a stay and dive package

Did an AirB&B in July I think. Two bedrooms cheaper than a hotel in Key Largo. (The Hampton Inn was 3-400 a night. Not a holiday nor last minute.) Diving got weathered out, but got in one dive which was not impressive. Not what it was when I first dived there

AirBnB or hotel in Florida City or Southern Homestead. But we are entering the busy season, so it is rather expensive. Prices start to come down around April or May.
How long a drive into Key Largo is it from Florida City or Southern Homestead?

We've looked at trips to Key Largo twice, and had trouble finding AirBnBs on Key Largo. Best deals we found were package deals with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. Ended up having to cancel both trips because of Covid.

Florida hotel prices are high all around SouthEast Florida, though it seems easier to find some decent deals on hotels or AirBnB near Palm Beach/Riviera Beach and Jupiter - but dive prices are both generally higher and don't actually include tanks at many places there.

How long a drive into Key Largo is it from Florida City or Southern Homestead?

45 minutes to an hour typically. Best to plan to arrive early. I use the Turnpike when available, but I have a Sunpass.

The Keys was our first destination after we got certified in 2010 and it was expensive THEN. It's only gotten worse - and so much worse - over the past few years. We've been back several times, but we invariably ask ourselves if it's really worth it. The diving can be great, but often isn't. There are some great restaurants, but they're expensive too. It's not as bad as Hawai'i but it's getting close. The one big difference is airfare (if you live in the US).

AND ... AirBNBs seem to price themselves out of most markets when I start looking at them - with cleaning fees that are often equal to a night's stay, and other fees/taxes. If you can find someone who owns a place there and rents directly you might find a good deal. Maybe join a Florida Keys Facebook page? I know there are a couple of good Cozumel groups and people will sometimes post about their rentals so you can avoid going through a middleman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom