Is enviro seal really halping in some cases?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If, say, we dive a regulator like Apeks DS4/DST in a fresh water with above 32F surface temps and water temps of 35F and up is it really helping us ?

It looks like internal surface area of the dry chamber as well as the spring with the supports will provide better cooling that the plastic enviro seal which is not transmitting the cold.

Besides the overbalancing "feature" can be eliminated, providing better reg stability at depth in cold water. The raising IP does not seem to be really friendly to the Second Stage in the cold water.

Any thoughts?

The enviromental seal over the spring chamber just eliminated the chance that freezing water around the spring stops it from cycling.

Capt I think my OP was probably misleading, I know it prevents water from entering into the spring chamber. I was just thinking that water flow through the chamber at those temperatures will be sufficient to warm it up, or you think the hole is not big enough to provide sufficient flow.

If there is not a substance that expands upon cooling or solidifies, then the problem with freeflow is eliminated, that is the primary concern. As a secondary concern, an environmental kit excludes foreign material from the internals of the regulator. This is less important with a diaphragm regulator since all that comes into contact with the outside is the diaphragm and a spring, all the other working parts are internal, but with a piston regulator the barrel, the piston and the o-rings that separate and seal the two are very prone to damage from dirt, fine sand and salt crystals.

This makes me thinking that it will only improve the heat exchange with the regulator body warming it up quicker. And the overbalancing effect will be gone.

This makes me thinking that it will only improve the heat exchange with the regulator body warming it up quicker. And the overbalancing effect will be gone.

Why would you want to get rid of the overbalancing of the regulator? It is a major selling point for Apeks:shakehead:.

Why would you want to get rid of the overbalancing of the regulator? It is a major selling point for Apeks:shakehead:.

Because raised IP does not help with free flows at depth in cold water. If you dive Trimix it does not make any sense anyways as the gas is thinner and easier to breath. I was finding some information that the IP raises as much as 25psi at 160ft. So if I have the reg set at 130 to will rise to 155 which is 16% My second stage ill have to "work harder" not to freeze.

Because raised IP does not help with free flows at depth in cold water. If you dive Trimix it does not make any sense anyways as the gas is thinner and easier to breath. I was finding some information that the IP raises as much as 25psi at 160ft. So if I have the reg set at 130 to will rise to 155 which is 16% My second stage ill have to "work harder" not to freeze.

I know what you are saying makes sense but what I was getting at is how Apeks takes a design flaw and turn it into a marketing point.

I know what you are saying makes sense but what I was getting at is how Apeks takes a design flaw and turn it into a marketing point.

Haha I think I missinterpreted your shkehead smile and did not catch the irony :)

Its interesting but It looks like many other companies make that design as well.
It would be interesting to hear about MK17

I guess it can also be fixed by removing the transmitter and pack it with crystolube but that will be a bit costly and messy :)

Actually if you examine adiabatic cooling you will note that it is proportional to the pressure drop; so raising the IP actually means just a little LESS cooling.

Back
Top Bottom