Is Dutch Springs unique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Having never been to another quarry besides Dutch, I'm wondering if there are other quarries in the US that rival it in terms of attractions and facilities?

I always preferred Willow Springs but I seem to be a lone voice on this board that is preoccupied with Dutch, they are good for rescue classes though.
There is or was one called Farmers Quarry in Washington NJ but I don't think it's available anymore.
I think fresh water diving is boring and I guess thats why they've dumped all of that junk and one body into those quarrys.

Hey, not necessarily a dumb question. A dumb question is one not asked. First I wanted to agree/disagree with the statement that fresh water diving is boring. I don't think fresh water diving has quite the interest that salt-water diving does (also why I have a salt-water aquarium and not a fresh-water one) due to the lack of wildlife, uniqueness, colors, etc., but in places like Lake Erie and so forth, fresh-water does provide some historical wrecks in pristine condition, and in some areas of the world, fresh-water does have an abundance of life, just not so much in the North-East.

As far as Dutch Springs being unique, I would say not. I did my refresher dive, before my cruise, down in Huntsville Alabama at Madison Water Park around where I grew up. They have an F4 Phantom, some rockets from the space and rocket center and other stuff there, though it is not quite as big as Dutch, or as deep.

Check out: http://www.rockdivers.com

I think quarries are good for two things: A leisurely dive with the buds when you don't have the time, and/or money to make it out to the Atlantic; Training. I bet many of us in this group, especially those of us that don't make it out to the Atlantic much, were trained in a Rock Quarry. I also think Bainbridge, about 9 miles south of 3-mile-island, is a great dive. It's visibility isn't that of Dutch but it is a pretty decent quarry, has a few attractions like a cement mixer, boats, etc. and they do have fresh water jellies.

I have yet to do an Erie dive, however I just finished my AOW and will have my Nitrox finished on Sunday. I also have a drysuit and I believe that is almost required in the Great Lakes.....at least I wouldn't want to do it in a wetsuit. I hope to get up there next summer as this year is shot with respect to my vacation time. Erie is not that far from me, maybe 2 hours, at least with the speed I drive.....

I haven't been to Dutch in a couple years, but I have been to Willow. They let us set up my camper and camp out during the week for night dives, Dutch camping is only on the weekend. Willow also had electric hookups. The biggest difference I noticed is that there aren't a lot of "babysitters" at Willow. It's much more laid back. We were the only ones there after 6 o'clock, after the beach closed and the owners left. It's good just for something different.

I wished I could make it out to DS. I have no vacation/personal time left, so it will be after the first of the year. Now that I'm drysuit diving, I'm taking an ice diving course so I will probably be back at Dutch early next year.

As far as the lakes go, a 7mm might be ok to a point, but what I've heard, you can't go very deep without a drysuit. If you want to come here next spring, let me know, I'll go with you. I have a 2nd child on the way in June so my spring is going to be dive Dive DIVE!!!!!

Ice diving huh? You are a lot braver than I am!

darylm74:
I wished I could make it out to DS. I have no vacation/personal time left, so it will be after the first of the year. Now that I'm drysuit diving, I'm taking an ice diving course so I will probably be back at Dutch early next year.

As far as the lakes go, a 7mm might be ok to a point, but what I've heard, you can't go very deep without a drysuit. If you want to come here next spring, let me know, I'll go with you. I have a 2nd child on the way in June so my spring is going to be dive Dive DIVE!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom