Is diving from an inflatable possible on Florida's east coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please excuse this dumb question. But for those who live and dive regularly on the south east coast of Florida (Ft Lauderdale/Miami area) and are "self-contained", is it possible to use an inflatable such as Zodiac to dive? Or is it against the law? Or totally impractical due to conditions? Or is it more feasible in the Keys for example?
Thanks!

Highly possible & done all the time- at least in Lauderdale By The Sea! You can tie up to a buoy or just drag it along. Don't forget to bring a dive flag, though...

That all depends on the inflatable. I wouldn't go too far offshore in a 10' and a little Mickey Mouse motor. A nice big RIB with some big twins will go anywhere - while I was living in Honolulu, there were some guys in an inflatable, something around 24', taking it around the world powered by Yanmar diesel outboards. They made it too!
As long as your inflatable is legal, you can do whatever you want with it subject to commons sense, sanity, and the prevailing conditions.

Tom Winters:
while I was living in Honolulu, there were some guys in an inflatable, something around 24', taking it around the world powered by Yanmar diesel outboards. They made it too!

I remember reading about this in the news, but I didn't realize they were actually powering it across open stretches of ocean!!!!!! I thought hey were just doing a tour of the "coast" (like up/down the US east coast).

Wow..... across an ocean in a 24' power boat. That had to beat the hell out of them. Going out in a 21' center console in 3 to 5 foot seas will beat you pretty good. Being in a 41' boat in 6-8 foot seas will beat you. I can't imagine making an ocean passage in a small boat because I've done it in a larger boat and it was still rough.

I've run my 10' Zodiac in the Gulf with myself and one other + 2 sets of full gear while hitting a few of the shore dives off the beaches of AL. The sites were only 150 and 300m off the beach, but the later required a boat ride a few miles west since there wasn't anywhere nearer to park my truck and launch. 1-2' swells are about as big as I trust with gear. 3 people, no gear, and 2-3' seas had me out to the one mile bouy off Orange Beach :) a bit nervous but the 10hp Tohatsu got us there and back :D

I won't go into detail about the time I flipped it in 4-5' surf though... :wink:

plongeursousmarin:
SNIP... is it possible to use an inflatable such as Zodiac to dive? Or is it against the law? Or totally impractical due to conditions? Or is it more feasible in the Keys for example?
Well, you aren't supposed to launch motorcraft from the beach here - there's a 100 yard no-motor zone and they don't like the idea of fuel and oil spilling.

There's a chance you can make it without being seen, but there's also a good chance you'll be cited.

If there are launches directly to the ocean, I don't know about them. The Coast Guard is your best source of information (305) 535-8701.

As far as launching from an Intracoastal ramp and motoring out, IMHO both Port Everglades and Hillsboro get very choppy and, even if it's like glass when you leave conditions change rapidly with the tide. I do see small craft out there, but they seem a lot larger than 10' (maybe a zodiac is better in chop?).

Sorry to be so discouraging, but if you can make it out you'll be fine. There are nice reefs here between 200 and 1,500 yards off the beach, and we regularly kayak dive them without the least bit of trouble on most days.

MikeJacobs:
Well, you aren't supposed to launch motorcraft from the beach here - there's a 100 yard no-motor zone and they don't like the idea of fuel and oil spilling.

There's a chance you can make it without being seen, but there's also a good chance you'll be cited.

If there are launches directly to the ocean, I don't know about them. The Coast Guard is your best source of information (305) 535-8701.

As far as launching from an Intracoastal ramp and motoring out, IMHO both Port Everglades and Hillsboro get very choppy and, even if it's like glass when you leave conditions change rapidly with the tide. I do see small craft out there, but they seem a lot larger than 10' (maybe a zodiac is better in chop?).

Sorry to be so discouraging, but if you can make it out you'll be fine. There are nice reefs here between 200 and 1,500 yards off the beach, and we regularly kayak dive them without the least bit of trouble on most days.
Thanks for the responses. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning on moving down to Florida and I've always been attracted to diving off an inflatable (must be those frogmen-commando movies I used to watch as a kid). But the kayak thing sounds almost better and less hassle (from "the Man" I mean).
Can't wait to pack up and move to Florida.

Ok Plongeurman - when you get the inflatable and you're getting ready to do commando-recoveries where a guy in the boat holds a loop and snags you out of the water, remember to take off the scuba gear first. Otherwise your arm tends to get removed from your shoulder. It was a always a blast getting yanked out - the inflatable is supposed to be rafted next to the launch for prop clearance, but we never worried too much about stuff like that.
Kayaks are fun too, although a lot of times after a dive, the thought of having to paddle all the way back to shore would seem pretty onerous, so that's why I have 500 hp on the rear of my boat.
Also, if you and your buddies are going to launch the boat from the beach, practice first so you look cool doing it with the boat on your shoulders and charging into the surf.

plongeursousmarin:
Please excuse this dumb question. But for those who live and dive regularly on the south east coast of Florida (Ft Lauderdale/Miami area) and are "self-contained", is it possible to use an inflatable such as Zodiac to dive? Or is it against the law? Or totally impractical due to conditions? Or is it more feasible in the Keys for example?
Thanks!

Back in the days when I was under 30 and immortal :dunce: , we used to go out of Sebastian Inlet with a 14' Zodiac, 3 divers, and 2 tanks each. It was a little crowded, but it served its purpose. We'd dive anywhere between Wabasso and Vero. Back then, we didn't care how big the waves were in the inlet, nor did we check before going out. The Zodiac was great!!! It would hug the wave and cruise right over it.

Tom Winters:
SNIP... Kayaks are fun too, although a lot of times after a dive, the thought of having to paddle all the way back to shore would seem pretty onerous, so that's why I have 500 hp on the rear of my boat.
Also, if you and your buddies are going to launch the boat from the beach, practice first so you look cool doing it with the boat on your shoulders and charging into the surf.
You wouldn't belive how often I have to re-learn the concept of keeping the kayak perpendicular to the surf. Its hard to look cool when 300# of diveyak and gear is tossed on top of you with even the smallest wave behind it.

But it keeps me humble lol...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom