Is Diving a Life Change for You?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving for about a year now and looking back over that year I see that my outlook on life has changed dramatically - I'm not sure if this all for the good. I am so addicted to diving that everything I do tends to reflect a diving option. Previously, I enjoyed getting away and do some camping, but now I still love to camp, but it simply is not worth it to me if I cannot get a dive trip in as well. A good conversation to me is one where diving issues are discussed or tails of a dive trip are told. When I'm in the company of friends that do not dive it is very hard for me to not bring up diving. I have to work real hard not turn conversations into diving discussions with them because although they initially are very curious they tend to get bored with the discussion quickly and I can go on for hours. As with everybody, I have many projects around the house, but if somebody calls me up and wants to dive - I'm there. The bathroom remodel can wait - it makes perfect sense to me. My wife does not dive, but when her sister and husband (who do dive) come around, we talk for hours about diving. She hasn't said anything and is very supportive of my new hobby, but at times I can tell she gets a little bored with it. My wife and her sister are very close, but now since we all dive, I tend to spend more time with them than my wife. She is invited along to all our dives, but would rather not go because it is a dive trip. I've tried to get her involved in diving and when we took our first discover dive class she was very excited. But, on the first dive she got a real bad sinus squeeze and had to stop. She lost all interest at that point. Family vacations have turned to dive trips. Again, my wife is very supportive and I do try and do things outside of diving with her on vacations, but if diving is not part of the vacation - why go?

I have traditionally been somewhat of a "tight-***" when it comes to spending money. But, laying down $2,000 on dive gear just seems very natural. In fact, I'm really looking at getting drysuit certified and spending another $2000 for a drysuit simply does not phase me. When family or friends come around that I haven't seen in awhile, I love to show them pictures and video of my dive trips. They tend to be interested, but sometimes I feel I'm boring them to tears - they just don't get it.

I'm interested in if anybody shares my thoughts and live in my world as well. I keep thinking that at some point, I'm going to grow tired of this, but I can't imagine I will. I use to be a very priority based person with the traditional priorities. But, now those priorites have to include a dive trip. Am I going crazy? Am I way over the top? In my mind I sometimes think of myself as "druggy" when it comes to diving. As with a junky their priority is when they will get their next fix, mine is when I will get my next dive.

Just some food for thought that I thought I would pass along, because nobody is around right now for me to talk diving with.

S. Nagel

Life changing yes; Spending money on Scuba gear isnt near as expensive as spending it on the car :) I have spent over 37k on the car.

The Evo will be sold soon though at a huge loss. Ill be lucky to get 17k out of it.

Its a bit like being in love for the first time isn't it? Passion flames so high you cannot see anything else with any value.

Don't worry, chances are it will soothe down a little over time. Hopefully you will never lose your passion but will be able to integrate it with other elements of your life - like your wife! Be thankful to her for her patience and do as much as you can for her else she may go find another hobby that consumes her as much as diving consumes you right now and you won't get her back...

I love Scuba. Hands down its the most wonderful thing I have ever done. I've played a lot of sports growing up, but being underwater is great. You can't hear anything, nobody's yelling at you, its calm and relaxing. I could live underwater if it were somehow biologically possible...

Know how you feel i have experienced the call of the ocean for 4 years, it will soothe but never be silent.

Scuba has taken up a central part of life. My first aid kit and save-a-dive kit are sitting in the middle of the living room. My tanks are on the floor next to the front door. I read scuba books constantly. But those few precious moments underwater, even in the cold and dark stuff we get here, it's just neat!

I've been diving for just about a year as well. I can relate to getting obsessed -- my one-year anniversary is coming up soon, and I'm going to hit my 100th dive exactly on that date! So I've been doing a LOT of diving in this past year.

I too have completely changed the way I vacation. Now, all of my travel has to have a dive element to it. However, there are enough other things that I love to do that I always make sure I include topside adventures as well. For example, when planning our summer vacation, we chose Belize instead of Bonaire. Both places are known for excellent diving, but on Bonaire there's not much to do except dive, whereas on Belize we spent half of our vacation inland in the rainforest, where we went river tubing, spelunking and toured Mayan ruins.

I learned pretty early on that non-divers are curious about diving, but just don't relate to the passion, and can get bored with too much dive talk. Unless I'm asked, I make a point of not talking about it too much with my non-diving friends. What I've done instead is cultivate a growing set of new friends through various dive groups and clubs. And yes, we can talk for hours about diving...when we're not in the water!

I'm fortunate in that my husband got certified at the same time as me, but he isn't nearly as passionate about it as I am. While I'm approaching dive #100, he's at dive #36. But it's certainly better than having a non-diving spouse.

One thing I decided early on about diving is that, due to its inherent risks, I wanted to make sure that I keep my skills sharp. I wouldn't feel comfortable being a "vacation diver" -- someone who dives only a few times a year. I personally believe that the skills you need to truly be safe in the water can only be maintained through frequent diving. If I'm going to be a diver, I'm going to dive frequently enough so that I'll never feel "rusty". Hence, I've made a commitment to dive as often as possible...and that requires some life changes, which I'm willing to make. I just don't see how you can be a diver and only do it half-*****ed. I'm not willing to take that risk.

My advice to you would be to make sure to maintain some non-diving interests. I'm an avid river-rafter, so I've made sure to get out on a couple river-raft trips this year. By doing so, you'll have other things besides diving to talk about with your non-diving friends. And save your hours-long dive talks for your surface intervals with your dive buddies. :)

Yes, after starting to dive, I lost interest in above water activites. Water parks, fishing, surfing, swimming... I now ask, what's the point?

My money flow also has changed.

I am not as bad as you describe, but I have found it difficult to integrate diving and the other thigns i am passionate about. Theres just not enough time or money for everything. I need to win the lottery.

ha ha

you know you are in trouble when the SO says "we don't have to dive on every trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom