Is DIR the right way to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know if you can - or would like to - travel, but, a course you might consider is called Essentials of Diving, and is given at 5thD-X (LINK) in Monterey, CA. Great place to dive, and a course that sounds to me like a good introduction to the basic skills of DIR for someone with less than 50 dives.

I have not taken this class, but it's just another option.

Porscheguy:
am wondering if going DIR is the way to go. By the sounds of it i think the principles of DIR diving are excelent, and i would love to learn that way. anyone with any advice if you could tell me, that would be great!

Contact GUE instructor Dan MacKay at Northern Tech Diver.

http://www.northerntechdiver.com/

There’s also alot of information at the GUE website, including course schedule, instructor database etc. As far as I know, Dan is the only GUE instructor in Canada.

http://www.gue.com/

Also, check out this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1311448#post1311448

Porscheguy:
I'm a PADI rescue diver, who would like to continue my education with something more technical, i have done a little research, and am wondering if going DIR is the way to go. By the sounds of it i think the principles of DIR diving are excelent, and i would love to learn that way. anyone with any advice if you could tell me, that would be great!
DIR is not tech diving. Just having taken the DIR-f class this weekend, I couldn't imagine going tech without GUE/DIR background, but one does not equal the other.

Captain CaveMan:
...anyways Im wanting to take DIR soon when i can after i get more time in the water
No sense waiting. You'll just build up bad habits that you'll have to break... at least I did. DIR-f is not some advanced diving class. It's a class on making you a better diver. Period.

Chris

Rick Inman:
Don't know if you can - or would like to - travel, but, a course you might consider is called Essentials of Diving, and is given at 5thD-X (LINK) in Monterey, CA. Great place to dive, and a course that sounds to me like a good introduction to the basic skills of DIR for someone with less than 50 dives.

I have not taken this class, but it's just another option.

There's one this Friday (21 Oct) come on down :)

It's not about Tech diving.... it's about being comfortable and confident in the water. To be able to move in the water column and stay there with the minimun effort. Streamlineing your gear and standardized equipment. Situational awareness and checklist discipline also are a big part.

Take the class as soon as possible.... As Morpheus said:

....After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

:)

It's SEX, not gender... he needs to figure out.
My attempt at humor...
Gender is not the correct usage here.

Porscheguy:
I'm a PADI rescue diver, who would like to continue my education with something more technical, i have done a little research, and am wondering if going DIR is the way to go. By the sounds of it i think the principles of DIR diving are excelent, and i would love to learn that way. anyone with any advice if you could tell me, that would be great!
I'd suggest you take the fundies class if you'd like to pursue more advanced diving, or just to become a better diver. It's the first scuba class I've had that has some real "meat" to it. Time and money permitting, I'm going to take more GUE training.

I only had 22 logged dive when I took the fundies. The course is expensive if comparing to other agency, but you will not regret taking the class because it will improve the quality and enjoyment of your time underwater, whether it is Tek or just rec diving. If you have the time and the money go do it.

I'm prepairing to take the DIRF class(March in Playa Del Carmen) and have started gearing up. I find it kind of interesting that some people think that DIR is only technical/cave diving. After reading the Fundamentals booklet it has become obvious that it really is about skills and safety. If you decide to go into technical divng after the fundamentals class the equipment and skills you develop carryover into the next level without having to relearn anything. It appears to me that the other certification agencies only teach you what you need for your current level and want you to learn new skill sets every time you try to advance your diving. I know that everytime you move into a new realm of diving it involves learning new things, but you shouldn't have to start over learning something as fundamental as horizontal trim and kicking. I'm looking forward to my DIRF class, and am developing my son as my DIR trained dive buddy.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom