Is DIR the right way to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Porscheguy

Reaction score
I'm a PADI rescue diver, who would like to continue my education with something more technical, i have done a little research, and am wondering if going DIR is the way to go. By the sounds of it i think the principles of DIR diving are excelent, and i would love to learn that way. anyone with any advice if you could tell me, that would be great!

First figure out your gender in your profile, and then we could consider talking about your future diving career........less than 50 dives and you want to pursue a TEK direction, hmmm? What exactly do you wish to do? A number of agencies can offer solutions to this problem.

Eg. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=104258&highlight=tek+agencies

PS. Ok, for all you political correct crazies, the gender question is an attempt to add some humor? Would you really want to send a person on a TEK course who can't figure out his own gender, haha.

ok a) get rid of that snorkel.
b) sure why not? I took DIR at 15 dives from my OW cert. I was the newest diver there, diving with people with 1000's of dives(instructors and non instructors), people who had dived all over the world etc. But DIR-F is a great equalizer. I didn't feel like that big a noob when I got in the water and saw that we were all fumbling with our trim and bouyancy. Its a learning experience go for it.

ShakaZulu:
First figure out you gender in your profile, and then we could consider talking about your future diving career........ ?
First. Whats up with that? :huh:

anyways Im wanting to take DIR soon when i can after i get more time in the water

FYI - DIR does not equal tech diving, tech diving does not equal DIR. DIR is just a method of diving, that certain individuals choose to do in a pre-defined method with certain guidelines. There is a lot more to tech diving then just the DIR way.

By all means, take DIR-F. At least it will show you what you still have to learn.

ShakaZulu:
First figure out your gender in your profile, and then we could consider talking about your future diving career........less than 50 dives and you want to pursue a TEK direction, hmmm? What exactly do you wish to to do?

well i dont see what gender has to do with anything.. ?

as far as having little experence.....well rescue diver was mentioned so mabye the loged dives hasnt been updated? and even if its acurate. making a longe term goal that early in ones diving is not bad...
at the least it will help in gear purchace and not making expensive wrong choices...

but hay im not DIR. so what do i know?

RS

A couple of questions.

By DIR do you mean training with GUE?
What do you intend to DO in your more technical diving?

Training with GUE in the DIR system is a good thing. Probably the best part is that the system is well thought out and fairly complete so you don't have to try and figure it all out on your own. The system approach to diving and teaching is a good thing.

What are the drawbacks?
GUE is still a small agency and you can't always get the training you want when and where you want. If you are not in a hurry and/or have a good size budget for travel this is not so bad.

The biggie.
Reabreathers, if you are heading to being a major deep water photographer or videographer then you will likely want to go to CCR and GUE don't do that. Of course, this is a very small set of people who will run into this limit.

Taking clases with GUE is certainly worth the time and money.

By all means look into the DIR philosophy and getting some GUE training. The fewer dives you have the better...less bad habits to break.

I was a Padi Rescue Diver when I took my DIR-F. Let's just say I'm now done with Padi courses.

Safe diving,

I am a PADI trained diver, AOW with several specialties now completed, and almost 50 dives. I have been doing a lot of diving with DIR trained people (tonight was one of them). It is almost amazing to me what they have learned. Put aside the gear questions . . . They have beautiful control of themselves in the water. They can task load up the ying-yang and never lose their depth or attitude. They have very strong situational awareness, and excellent communication skills under water. Diving with the two guys I was down with tonight was a joy (at least when I wasn't being spastic) because they were so steady and predictable and easy to communicate with.

I'm sure there must be other places where you can learn all those things. But clearly, DIR training does it. And that is why I am taking DIR-F in November, despite the fact that the people who certified me and my friends from that shop generally think it's a bad idea. Of course, their disapproval is based on a perception of elitism and arrogance from DIR divers, which is something I simply have not encountered. Two great guys spent an hour babysitting me tonight so I could practice skills . . . come across as elitist to you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom