Is DCS possible under 20fsw, or 100% impossible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heared about cases, where people got skin bends in a 3m pool.
Drinking alcohol the night before. Dehydrated and going up and down to fast. I spoke with the person, who claims to saw multiple skin bends of this kind.

I think(please correct me if I am wrong), that the deco models assume a normal ascent rate. Even in Ndl dives microbubbles can Form, which do no damage. But by exceeding the ascent rate and going up and down multiple times, I assume, they can become an issue.

A reasonable position might be;

If you are physiologically normal, in reasonable condition, and avoid provocative behaviours, then, for square profiles even up to the point of saturation in 20ft or less, decompression sickness is unlikely. This is supported by theory and some actual experiment.

However, in practice, you absolutely could get DCS from dives in 20ft or less, if one or more of a range of risk factors were added to the picture, including being physiologically compromised (i.e. PFO or lung shunt), exertion (either during the dive or afterwards), severe dehydration, saw tooth profiles et cetera

This is also leaving out other possible injuries such as arterial gas embolism or immersion pulmonary oedema, which are absolutely possible in less than 20ft.

(Edited to correct misuse of DCI in place of DCS)

However, in practice, you absolutely could get DCI from dives in 20ft or less,
The question was about DCS, not DCI. It has already been established you can get DCI from a 4 ft dive, holding your breath during ascent.

10m is VERY different from 20 FSW.
Also bends=DCS; DCI=DCS+AGE.

I am with you.

That article linked by @Water_is_my_blood is speaking about DCS, not DCI. However, it is speaking about 10m dives, which is 30ft... very different from the 20ft you mentioned.

The article previously posted here Is DCS possible under 20fsw, or 100% impossible?
mentioned indeed the possibility of getting bent at 10m, but stated that 20ft could be a possible limit above which DCS should not happen.

EDIT: 20ft = roughly 6m

In the article one case is reported to be bend at 4m.which is about 12 ft.

So the answer is yes. There is at least one reported case, where this happened.

I am with you.

That article linked by @Water_is_my_blood is speaking about DCS, not DCI. However, it is speaking about 10m dives, which is 30ft... very different from the 20ft you mentioned.

The article previously posted here Is DCS possible under 20fsw, or 100% impossible?
mentioned indeed the possibility of getting bent at 10m, but stated that 20ft could be a possible limit above which DCS should not happen.

EDIT: 20ft = roughly 6m
It is speaking less than 10m, not 10m dives. Like Raphus wrote there is one DCS case from 4m dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom