Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are arguing from hindsight. In the moment, the flight might have gone badly for him. With insufficient staff and stuff to deal with it. His plan did not take into account risks, only rewards. Would you plan a dive like that? Then why plan a flight like that?
They are hopping from one island to another and know they have a bent diver aboard. How high would you assume the plane will fly for the 15 minute flight? I'm just not seeing this flight as anything more than a necessary component in the treatment of an injured person. Any treatment presents some risks.

Would you prefer they load him onto a boat and haul ass in the dark?

HIs experience at the Nassau chamber and subsequent need for treatment in Atlanta(?) -- yet another chamber ride, according to the account -- would suggest otherwise . . .
No, it wouldn't. There are many reasons that a diver is put into a chamber... often it's for prophylactic reasons. Everything I've heard and read about these guys screams "entitled". If someone is convinced that they need a chamber, I bet the only way to appease them would be to put them into one. If DAN was reticent about his need for a chamber, there are probably some good reasons.

I worked for many years in the automotive industry. People came in all the time telling me that all their problems would be rectified with a set of plugs. Why come to see me if you already know how to fix it? Best to let the pros diagnose and then fix it accurately. Obviously, the dive wasn't very well thought out. Ergo, their decision-making acumen appears to be less than ideal.

And you know this how?

(Rhetorical question}
I know nothing. Neither do you.
You asked a question in post #262; 2h later in #279 I tried to answer your question.
I'm am so sorry I tried to help and ruined your one-sided narrative.

I will call DAN, if I don't like their timeline, and I feel like my life is in danger, I will make the call to Amex Medvac/Global Rescue, or my ass pocket. Call me entitled, I will fight with insurance asslowns once I am alive, safe and healthy. If your are sick enough to need the chamber, there is no need for delay. The two times I have called DAN the recommended the ER immediately. Funny, the only difference here is transportation, i.e. money. Seems curious. Nah, not really.

Any treatment presents some risks.

True, but…Internet. They could check out the evac company first, plus their access to an extensive industry network. And they see the plane before boarding. Looked impressive. Or- wait until sometime tomorrow to see what the bureaucracy decides. If I had the choices they were fortunate enough to have, I know what I’d do.

If your are sick enough...
Only two letters, but quite an important word. Dan's not known to pussyfoot around. They certainly didn't do that for me.

Again, the best way to treat an injury is to never have one. Plan your dive in such a way that you'll never need to go to a chamber. It's all about limits. Know them. Honor them.

Everything I've heard and read about these guys screams "entitled". If someone is convinced that they need a chamber, I bet the only way to appease them would be to put them into one.
Several people in this thread appear to have something highly personal against Gus and Woody. It's not enough to talk about what an appropriate or ideal action for both parties to take, but rather about ensuring more people join the hate bandwagon. For some reason it's really important everyone know Woody is rich, Gus and Woody are entitled, their videos suck, and the video in question is boring and longwinded, they make inappropriate jokes, and how everything they do is stupid.

Did Gus and Woody make mistakes? Probably, who doesn't under pressure, in an emergency, and without hindsight. As far as I've been taught, you want to get injured divers into the chamber ASAP, and DAN never asserted Woody didn't need that treatment, just that they couldn't get him evac any sooner.

P.S. So long as the moderators of SB are also engaged in talking about the subject of Gus and Woody's character, this comment should not be removed for being "off topic." Unless the mods also wish to remove some of the other off-topic comments in this thread.

Several people in this thread appear to have something highly personal against Gus and Woody. It's not enough to talk about what an appropriate or ideal action for both parties to take, but rather about ensuring more people join the hate bandwagon. For some reason it's really important everyone know Woody is rich, Gus and Woody are entitled, their videos suck, and the video in question is boring and longwinded, they make inappropriate jokes, and how everything they do is stupid.

Did Gus and Woody make mistakes? Probably, who doesn't under pressure, in an emergency, and without hindsight. As far as I've been taught, you want to get injured divers into the chamber ASAP, and DAN never asserted Woody didn't need that treatment, just that they couldn't get him evac any sooner.

P.S. So long as the moderators of SB are also engaged in talking about the subject of Gus and Woody's character, this comment should not be removed for being "off topic." Unless the mods also wish to remove some of the other off-topic comments in this thread.
It's called Dive Talk not Dive Instruction.
Why is everyone looking to them like fallen angels?
They enjoy analyzing and critiquing other divers videos. I'm sure they would not mind others critiquing theirs, sans the ugly vitriol on display here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom