Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought it was the main goal with DAN.
When I bought a rebreather I called DAN and asked questions specific to this kind of situation. I was told to call DAN but that I may have to pay/facilitate for my rescue and get reimbursed later.

Think about the effort required to maintain a database of rescue operations globally, with all the caveats that come with that. Then think about how this really happens. Incident happens that requires medivac, you go to the nearest hospital, that hospital, even one with feces on the wall, knows who to call, you ask them and they tell you. (same as what happened here) You pretty much need to go to a hospital to get medevac'd and if a hospital isn't available, you should have been planning for that situation. The local hospital will have the best info on getting emergency services no matter where you are.

It is nice if DAN can help and anyone in this situation should call them, but if you may end up like this, be ready to do whatever necessary to help yourself. (If you don't have the money or CC capacity, maybe remote deep(ish) cave diving isn't in the cards for you, that's unfortunate but it's reality. FL is very nice)

It is nice if DAN can help and anyone in this situation should call them, but if you may end up like this, be ready to do whatever necessary to help yourself.

For God’s sake, no !!

Being ready to help yourself is like careening through the city, running red lights !

Your post makes it sound that DAN was aware and found them wanting when there is nothing to support the hypothesis.
There's no evidence either way, is there?

There's no evidence either way, is there?
nope, other than what we saw in the video.

doesn't change my objection however to that post.

Taking action based on info from your own sources, including DAN’s own MD cardiology consultant, and then spending $25,000 out of your own pocket- couldn’t possibly compete with waiting 24 hours to see what DAN will decide- amirite?

I think a large factor in the decision making process was who exactly the DAN person talking was on the other end of the call. If the guys believed the person was just an administrative pencil pusher, they might have become frustrated trying to convey what they believe required urgent action. If however, they weretalking to an expert in dive injuries and rapid medical response/evac in a foreign country, their response might have been different.

Taking action based on info from your own sources, including DAN’s own MD cardiology consultant, and then spending $25,000 out of your own pocket- couldn’t possibly compete with waiting 24 hours to see what DAN will decide- amirite?
except that Gus and woody and the ER doc were in fact talking to another DAN MD..so there is that

nope, other than what we saw in the video.

More conjecture in this thread than not, by a wide, wide margin. In fact, other than the guy getting hurt, we really don't know much for sure. While I've tried to caveat almost all of my conjecture as such, not everyone is nearly as careful, and they don't really need to be.

except that Gus and woody and the ER doc were in fact talking to another DAN MD..so there is that

Not taking anything away from that. The DAN MD they spoke to on their own (Doug Ebersole) – was also someone they know well personally. That’s not something everyone’s lucky enough to have in an emergency.

More conjecture in this thread than not, by a wide, wide margin. In fact, other than the guy getting hurt, we really don't know much for sure. While I've tried to caveat almost all of my conjecture as such, not everyone is nearly as careful, and they don't really need to be.
indeed, I am not even convinced 100% that Woody was bent (maybe only 99%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom