Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite pricey, but if you play your cards right you could have done hunky spec ops guys get you out of a bad spot lol
True, there seems to be a marked lack of cretinous hunchbacks in their current ad campaign; but considering how remote we were, back then, burning 700.00 each was the least of our concerns . . .

If I recall correctly, the Plane was suggested by the ER doc, who would have had knowledge of this service. Gus had little to do with the success of finding that. It would be pretty difficult for DAN to have a world wide network of emergency evac services at the ready.
i thought it was the main goal with DAN.

i thought it was the main goal with DAN.
Getting divers to the appropriate medical care, using the appropriate means, in a rapid manner =/= paying for the closest people who are somewhat qualified to hopefully get the job done fairly adequately if no complications arise in lieu of taking the time to do it right. Having the right people, with the right qualifications, and the right equipment to administer appropriate aid during transport isn't the same as having just someone with medical training and limited equipment available on a plane.

Woody and Gus chose the closest and fastest and that worked out in the end this time. Kind of like having your buddy speed and run red lights to get to a hospital instead calling an ambulance to have proper care on the way there. Sure, it may work out this time, but that doesn't mean it was the right call or the safe option.

Kind of like having your buddy speed and run red lights to get to a hospital instead calling an ambulance to have proper care…

Not really. The only thing their plan endangered- was reimbursement.

Not really. The only thing their plan endangered- was reimbursement.
I don't know that that's the case. I'm not a medical professional with training in Barotrauma or DCS and related complications, so I can't say what such a person would say is the appropriate level of support and available equipment to transport someone with such a potential problem. Are you? Can you list those things for us?

I'm also not one of the people who staffed that plane, so I don't know what they had. I know I saw what appeared to be O2 in use, an IV, and heart monitoring leads, and blankets. I don't know what else was available to them, if anything, to deal with an in-flight emergency complication from Barotrauma or DCS of some-sort or if those on-board had training on barotrauma/DCS and the appropriate treatments. Do you?

Do you know if that meets the requirements DAN has for their transports based on their extensive research and history of dealing with dive accidents? I don't. I simply know it was apparently NOT one of the options DAN had determined to be available and appropriate for the conditions as they were known at the time.

To me, that sounds like they likely didn't have what DAN, fairly well-recognized experts in the field, had determined was needed to effect a safe transport, but they went ahead anyway because that's the transport a doctor not trained in this type of medicine was aware of as available for transporting medical patients.

@jlcnuke
Then please explain to me what their plan endangered.

To me, that sounds like they likely didn't have what DAN, fairly well-recognized experts in the field, had determined was needed to effect a safe transport, but they went ahead anyway because that's the transport a doctor not trained in this type of medicine was aware of as available for transporting medical patients.
That's a big leap of assumption that DAN was even aware of them, or knew what they had available etc. Your post makes it sound that DAN was aware and found them wanting when there is nothing to support the hypothesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom