Is criticism of Moderators a bannable offense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A simple question? Should someone be given an SB vacation for making a statement that criticizes the moderation staff? Also, if the post that got someone the vacation was so bad (as to give someone a vacation), why was the post not deleted?

I read through the TOS, and didn't see anywhere that you're not allowed to criticize the mods.

ScubaBoard TOS:
Constructive criticism of other members and debate is encouraged as long as it does not turn into a personal attack.

so this is true, as long as you don't say bad things about the moderating staff in general? Perhaps this offending post was tongue in cheek? Maybe a simple PM to the offender would have been a more appropriate action, but no - instant 5 day vacation. What is this place coming to??

Moderators are just people like everybody else. They've been given certain responsibilities but are not perfect.

I don't think constructive criticism should be a bannable offense but if everybody starts "constructively" criticizing then the rule of order may break down and respect is lost. Perhaps a PM to the mod would have been a better? I've certainly done that a few times.

ScubaBoard TOS:
Constructive criticism of other members and debate is encouraged as long as it does not turn into a personal attack.
Criticism as mentioned above is not a bannable offense.

TOS - Banning process:
Under no circumstances will Scubaboard Moderators or Administrators disclose reasons or rationale for any disciplinary action to a third party. We view this as a privacy issue and are committed to protect the privacy of the board's members at all times.

El Orans:
Criticism as mentioned above is not a bannable offense.
I didn't mention any names.

Are you saying that the person who recieved the ban should not discuss his/her vacation with their friends? Off the board?

ReefHound:
Moderators are just people like everybody else. They've been given certain responsibilities but are not perfect.

That is why they work as a team and dont ban people singlehandedidellydoo. If I understood correctly in the late banned thread, they discuss it in a meeting and take a group decision before banning someone. Am I correct?

We sometimes face criticism... and that is fine. However, some would like to suggest that their abuse is somehow a legitimate criticism. It is not. Flaming is not allowed, and you can bet that I take inflammatory language against any of our volunteer staff quite seriously.

What is really bothersome are those who try to just skirt the TOS in order to bait a moderator into action and then complain loud and long about unfairly they were treated. The Mods' prime directive is to have fun. It's simply not fair that some feel it their mission to destroy their fun. There is enough controversy in scuba diving without having to create more animosity for our volunteer staff.

howarde:
Are you saying that the person who recieved the ban should not discuss his/her vacation with their friends? Off the board?
That's not what he said. I would suggest that if you feel you are being treated unfairly by ANY staff member, that you send an e-mail to abuse@ScubaBoard.com and I will address it. We are more tolerant than most forums when it comes to criticism, legit or not.

howarde:
I didn't mention any names.

SB Staff will not discuss a ban in public. That's all the statement says.

NetDoc:
We sometimes face criticism... and that is fine. However, some would like to suggest that their abuse is somehow a legitimate criticism. It is not. Flaming is not allowed, and you can bet that I take inflammatory language against any of our volunteer staff quite seriously.

What is really bothersome are those who try to just skirt the TOS in order to bait a moderator into action and then complain loud and long about unfairly they were treated. The Mods' prime directive is to have fun. It's simply not fair that some feel it their mission to destroy their fun. There is enough controversy in scuba diving without having to create more animosity for our volunteer staff.
While I don't disagree with the moderation staff's decisions most of the time (and I truly appreciate the difficulty of the volunteer job of moderating SB), the case I am speaking of was purely a tongue and cheek comment. Instead of removing the offending post or even a PM to the "offender" they were banned for 5 days (and received a very condescending e-mail from an SB staff member). This just seems a little heavy handed...

Also the offender in this case is a supporting member.

If someone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, are all SB members at risk for unreasonable vacations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom