Is Cozumel cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving in a lot of places the last 20 years, with $ cost not an issue — if the value is there. Our live-board to Palau was expensive, but worth it. IMHO Coz is the best value for a dive trip — really good diving, fun town with a great choice of restaurants, and a wide range of accommodations. We have stayed at many places, but the last 8 trips we have stayed at Scuba Club, including last month. Breakfast and lunch included, and dinner out. Great location on the water. All in all, Coz is inexpensive by most measures, but a really good value by any. Again, IMHO.

I live near Pittsburgh, and Cozumel is much cheaper (and nicer) than going to Florida. That's never been more true than in 2021.

Ten years ago, we stopped going to Florida for any kind of vacation. Florida is noisy, extremely expensive, not very pretty, the hotels are all run down (even the 5-star hotels have been used and abused), and the people are psycho.

For a quick, cheap, and wonderful dive trip, Cozumel is #1. The water is warm, the people are wonderful, the food is excellent, the lodging is perfect, and the diving is always great. We have been going to Coz every year for more than 15 years, and it's always enjoyable. We went to Cozumel three times in 2020!

Are there better places for diving? Yes. Sometimes we want to go to Thailand or Bonaire or Greece. But the travel time and cost start adding up quickly.

I live near Pittsburgh, and Cozumel is much cheaper (and nicer) than going to Florida. That's never been more true than in 2021.

Ten years ago, we stopped going to Florida for any kind of vacation. Florida is noisy, extremely expensive, not very pretty, the hotels are all run down (even the 5-star hotels have been used and abused), and the people are psycho.

For a quick, cheap, and wonderful dive trip, Cozumel is #1. The water is warm, the people are wonderful, the food is excellent, the lodging is perfect, and the diving is always great. We have been going to Coz every year for more than 15 years, and it's always enjoyable. We went to Cozumel three times in 2020!

Are there better places for diving? Yes. Sometimes we want to go to Thailand or Bonaire or Greece. But the travel time and cost start adding up quickly.

I am not sure if this is a fair comparison. Cozumel is better diving cheaper than Florida, but also cheaper and better diving than Montana, Nebraska and Oklahoma. Florida is good for girls who like the beach and don't want to leave the country or learn a new language.

With COVID, the idea of diving without flying or crossing borders is appealing.

A captain on a boat in the Bahamas once told me she was going to Jupiter to go diving on her vacation. Consider she can dive for free anytime in the Bahamas she wants, I was a little surprised.

Why would you say Greece is better diving? I'd assume there is much less to see underwater.

Why would you say Greece is better diving? I'd assume there is much less to see underwater.
Actually Greece is horrible for diving. The Greeks are xenophobic. They think that anyone who wants to go diving is planning to steal ancient Greece artifacts. You are presumed guilty until proven innocent, and they treat you accordingly. The Mediterranean water is cold and the visibility poor. I hear the cave diving is pretty good.

BTW, the diving in the Bahamas is rather poor. I'd go diving in Jupiter over the Bahamas, too.

I am not sure if this is a fair comparison. Cozumel is better diving cheaper than Florida, but also cheaper and better diving than Montana, Nebraska and Oklahoma. Florida is good for girls who like the beach and don't want to leave the country or learn a new language.

With COVID, the idea of diving without flying or crossing borders is appealing.

I think it's as fair as any comparison between two places gets. More specifically, I would compare to South Florida and the Keys. If you can drive to Florida the cost shifts in it's favor as that negates airfare and car rental, but it's a long drive in most cases. From Texas, it would be about 24 hours so factor in 2 days on each end. Chances are, you will be flying with either destination. For most of the US they are about equal distance and cost to get to by air. There is much less need for a rental car in Coz and taxis are cheap. Lodging is a fraction of the cost of Florida. Dining is a fraction of the cost of Florida. Dive charters are about 20% or so cheaper. Crossing the border, at least with Mexico, is trivial if you have a passport already.

I think it's as fair as any comparison between two places gets. More specifically, I would compare to South Florida and the Keys. If you can drive to Florida the cost shifts in it's favor as that negates airfare and car rental, but it's a long drive in most cases. From Texas, it would be about 24 hours so factor in 2 days on each end. Chances are, you will be flying with either destination. For most of the US they are about equal distance and cost to get to by air. There is much less need for a rental car in Coz and taxis are cheap. Lodging is a fraction of the cost of Florida. Dining is a fraction of the cost of Florida. Dive charters are about 20% or so cheaper. Crossing the border, at least with Mexico, is trivial if you have a passport already.

That's pretty much it. Many years ago we did our first post-cert dives in the Keys, then did more in FL for the next two vacations. After that we discovered Cozumel and did not return to FL until we moved here about 2 years ago. Instead we mostly went to Coz for vacations, FWIW.

We chose to relocate from Michigan to the FL east coast specifically so that we could conveniently dive as much as we want. It's very convenient, and also quite good diving here, but we have yet to get back to the Keys. Much of the reason for that is last year was kind of tricky with COVID some of the year at least. But also, we are really too far to just drive there for a day, and we would like to do multi-day diving, necessitating lodging just like most others although no air fare. But there are very few choices of decent lodging for reasonable prices, if any, at this point. I am hoping to do the Keys for the first time in years in October, but will probably have to suck it up and pay those rates with the savings coming from driving vs. flying. In the end we will probably only do 3-4 days as a result, vs. 7-10 when going to Coz. We won't have to go thru the COVID test though, or have any risk of any quarantine.

Diving is good in both places. Much better coral in Coz, more fish in Florida IMO.

The only way we could keep it reasonable in the Keys right now would be to stay in Homestead but who wants to drive an hour to and from the dive shop every day when on vacation.

Depends a lot on how many people are going. I travel alone and live in Ohio, so driving to Florida would be 17 hours and not cost effective. If I had a wife, cost breaks even, and gets much cheaper adding people after that. It is less than a hour flight, but 1 hour to get to the airport, 2 hours through security, I save about 12 hours flying. Delays and luggage issues can quickly eat 12 hours.

Crossing the border is not trivial now. At a minimum I need a COVID test to get back to the USA, but I run a risk that either the USA or Mexico changes COVID policies before I get back. I also run the risk that I am compliant but the airline workers don't understand the COVID policies - this has been a huge issue for me in the past. And of course, there is the risk of COVID itself. If I test positive in Mexico, I could be in Cozumel a long time. Nice not to worry about it.

Depends a lot on how many people are going. I travel alone and live in Ohio, so driving to Florida would be 17 hours and not cost effective. If I had a wife, cost breaks even, and gets much cheaper adding people after that. It is less than a hour flight, but 1 hour to get to the airport, 2 hours through security, I save about 12 hours flying. Delays and luggage issues can quickly eat 12 hours.

Crossing the border is not trivial now. At a minimum I need a COVID test to get back to the USA, but I run a risk that either the USA or Mexico changes COVID policies before I get back. I also run the risk that I am compliant but the airline workers don't understand the COVID policies - this has been a huge issue for me in the past. And of course, there is the risk of COVID itself. If I test positive in Mexico, I could be in Cozumel a long time. Nice not to worry about it.

COVID policies do not change that fast. When they implemented the return test requirement everyone had over 30 days advance notice. That was in January and there have been no changes. Mexico isn't closing down. There have always been and always will be risks with crossing borders. You're right. If one is that worried about "what ifs" one should probably stay home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom